Impulse

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by King Cole, Oct 25, 2011.

1. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

So, you guys probably haven't heard yet (I heard a couple days after the fact from a friend working at GameStop), but a couple weeks ago now GameStop (I don't know if it's an American company or not, but for you Europeans, it's basically the single strongest game retailer in the US with a revenue of 9 billion dollars last year) bought up Impulse, some under-the-radar crap download game store like Steam, with all of around 50 games. Personally, I'm against the concept of something challenging Steam, considering I have over 200 games on here, but I think it'll be interesting to see what GameStop is going to do with this company, and even more interesting to see Valve's response. What do you guys think about this? I don't know if you Europeans have anything contesting Steam (except Origin which I think will die out) or not.

2. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Old news i'm afraid.

Although these sort of companies wont really be much of a match for steam, they will cause issues (As origin has shown, with games not being released on steam because the game creators have other more profitible options) Gamestop is in the UK But it's not as big as US, We have a store called GAME and one called Gamestation. Ironically they're both sister companies of Gamestop.

3. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

You're sure GameStop is related to GAME? When I asked said friend about GAME also launching their own online platform, he laughed and replied with, "It's GAME, what do you expect?"

Also, he's somewhere high up in marketing, so I would assume he knows his crap.

4. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

wait no scrap that yes i'm sure. They're all owned by EB Games ..

Okay i get it now

GameStop owns EB Games which owns GAME uk which owns Gamestation.

wut

5. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Lol they all suck, I haven't bought anything from gamestop in years. In theory, yes, the biggest console retailers could make a lot of money off their own "steam", but in execution, in the long run, they have no chance. Who buys PC games from gamestop anyway? People go to these stores for the consoles, not some 3rd party piece of shit steam knockoff.

6. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I wonder why Stardock accepted such a takeover, unless they're publicly traded and thus the investors wanted it. They had a small following and many people used them for things such as SoASE etc.

7. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Are they basically the US version of GAME? Although I don't see GAME making that much money. Gamestop kicked up that massive fuss over DX3/OnLive etc and Steam so it's not surprising they're trying to get the digital distribution, in 10 years time I doubt we'll even see physical copies of games, or at least not nearly as much.

8. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

There will always be physical copies. Anyways gamestop is shit and I haven't bought from them in years. Last time I bought something from them it was $5 and I made sure it was the only fucking deal they had in the store.

9. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Hmmm... Last time I went to GameStop they really pissed me off.

So basically, I have a credit card with my picture on it. I use that for photo ID whenever asked when using credit card purchases, and keep my other wallet with my driver's license and other stuff in my car. Last time I went to GameStop, the lady was being a real bitch, and then followed up with, "I can't accept the card alone, please show me some other form of identification." I didn't say a word (although I'm sure she got the mental, "Bitch please") and walked out. First and only time I've ever been somewhere they don't accept that credit card picture as ID enough. I mean, it's my picture for fuck's sake.

/end rant

10. Zeke

Gamestop is full of dumb fucktards, and most of the people who work there are one.

11. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

So I'm starting my new job at GameStop tomorrow..

12. Teddi

The Netherlands don't have gamestop.

13. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I live in California. I always tunnel through my Dutch VPN.

14. Teddi

I'd make a reference here with Urk and Religion, but the USA also happens to be batshit about it, so I'll need to find another way.

15. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Uh. Urk... That's an island in the Netherlands right? I fail to see the connection between that and religion, but okay.

16. Teddi

Urk is a place where all the batshit insane christians settled. It also happens to be where he lives and continually mocks them on a daily basis.

17. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Wait... what? I don't even...

18. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

What does this have to do with anything?

19. Zeke

How did he even?

20. Teddi

To lay it out for all of you that don't get it;

Whitefang is pretending in this "joke" that he lives in California, USA. I'm countering if you like that in reality he lives in Urk (which he does) where it's full of batshit crazy religious people, the same sort of idiots you find in the conservative party in America. Starting to get it now?