Climb Feedback

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NeverReady, Aug 3, 2017.

1. NeverReady

NeverReady [BB] Admin Admin

Wasn't sure where to post feedback for climb. So I just made this thread.

The map Anthologies is too long, even the people who are somewhat decent at the mode cannot beat it in the thirty minutes given.

Another thing is that, if a player sets their position to the VERY end of the map. They can repeatedly beat the map and spam chat such as this:
    [​IMG]

x9nine and Rhythums like this.
  2. Rhythums

Rhythums [BB] Admin Admin

:eek:

3. Jr6150

Jr6150 [BB] Admin Admin

This is obviously a legitimate strategy and is not cheating whatsoever

Kaiden likes this.
  4. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Yeah the time was in no way fixed, can be increased. Wonder what the fix can be for saving, see what other servers do?

5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

The only reason it's possible is because I haven't added any logic yet to deal with it. Once cubes and such are available it'll no longer be possible.

6. NeverReady

Would it be possible to add a message in red that tells you that the position didn't save? Because when you do it, it says your position is saved yet sets you back to your previous checkpoint. And also, with position saving requiring you to be on the ground, could saving in water be an option? For maps like Anthologies, this would greatly help towards the end of the map where a 5-10 minute section is just water tunnels with 1-2 flat grounds to save on.

Kaiden likes this.
  7. Teddi

Are you sure you're not looking at the old message in this case? The message should only appear upon succesful pressing of the button. However the rest should be possible.

8. RaZoRaK

RaZoRaK Active Member

I played Climb on the test server for a bit earlier today. I have to say that I quite like it. It somehow felt instantly familiar to me and it was very fun. I played a couple of maps, one I can't remember the name, and the other was Galaxy. I like the first one a lot as it had a stage approach to it while Galaxy was linear. My main complaint is the save position feature. I'm not sure if it's a standard feature for the game mode, but it felt way to easy to me because of it. I found myself saving after nearly every other jump or so. Other than that, I liked it. I say keep polishing it and give it an official server.

9. NeverReady

Weird. Trying it now, it doesn't spawn a new message. But I swear when I played it kept spawning a new "We have saved your position." Maybe not. :rolleyes:

10. Ulapin

Ulapin Member

It's standard feature and climb is more fun if you challenge yourself

11. Teddi

Something I plan to do is have two systems in tandem. The first is a checkpoint system that will be similar to that of Surfs', however due to the nature of the the gamemode you'll also have the ability to save your position between each one.

That said however, saving will be something of a limited resource and you'll replenish each load of 'save points' every time you reach a checkpoint; meaning on a map like galaxy if you completely screw up the absolute worst case should be that you can return to the last valid checkpoint. I haven't decided if the amount of points will be a flat arbitrary amount with a specific maximum; however this will probably be the first version that will be released for testing. Once this system is fleshed out we'll be looking towards Cube rewards and the like being available.

To clarify, you can load a save point as many times as you want; but you can only save x amount of times between checkpoints.

We will also give additional challenges through achievements eventually; for example completing a map without use of save points and so on.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    NeverReady and Kaiden like this.
  12. Glitchy_Gamer

Glitchy_Gamer New Member

Saving midair will be disabled right?

13. NeverReady

It already is. You have to be on the ground to save atm.

14. Malice

Malice New Member

Some of the maps require Counter strike to be remotely playable. To help you could either make it so props all have an outline, have the player auto download them when they join the server, or just not include these maps. It was really pissing me off and I'm sure i wouldn't be the only one to log on the server with the same problem.

15. | CosmicTurtle |

| CosmicTurtle | New Member

GG mate

16. Teddi

Climb is primarily a CS:S gamemode so you're going to find the majority of maps will have this issue. There's no way for me to create some sort of outline as the client has no knowledge of what the model was even supposed to be without having the files. Supplying the content is also not a possibility due to the sheer amount of content that would need to be supplied. It's possible I may be able to create some sort of offline opt-in system for content once connected; but certainly not upon joining. I'd recommend that during one of the many Steam sales you purchase CS:S for the grant total of $5 (or hell, it's usually even less than that) or the Valve complete pack for $25 when that's on sale.

17. Malice

Malice New Member

Understandable, its possible that at some point in the future i will eventually do that but i will most likely just not play the gamemode because i'm broke and lazy.

18. flash31939

flash31939 Nightmare Sub Admin

Would it be possible to give bonus cubes relative to the number of unused checkpoints you have?

19. Teddi

It's something being considered; however it's also the case that the total amount of saves you would have is capped; therefore you could only ever gain a bonus of the cap, regardless of if you never once used a save at all (though this may have its own bonus).

20. Glitchy_Gamer

Glitchy_Gamer New Member

How about extra saves for platinum members or something of that sort?