[FIXED] Halloween Crate Bug

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by Chaco #11, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaco #11

Chaco #11 [BB] Admin Admin

Hello developers of BB,

Upon waking up this morning, an idea popped into my head. I would go onto the Surf (1-3) server and try something out.

With the platinum save location feature, you can save your location near the end of the map and continuously press your binded button teleporting to the end of the map and completing it and get drops out of it.
    With the Halloween crates, you do get drops whilst doing this as I have tested it two times.

So frankly, you can greatly speed up the process of getting a get unlimited Halloween Crate drop by abusing the platinum quick save / reloading feature to complete the map quicker.

Screenshot of the testing results can be found below:

HalloweenCrateBug-SaveQuickLoadAbuse.png

HalloweenCrateBug-SaveQuickLoadAbuse2.png

To any platinum users that are wanting to attempt this, don't.

Stay Spooky ,
    Chaco

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

So first of all, I'll confirm that this is "fixed" in the sense that this is now somewhat far harder to abuse. The tricky part is actually categorising the real damage / risk to all of this and for the benefit of everyone I'll explain why.

Firstly this exploit was only available to a small subset of users - Platinum members. If you don't have Platinum then you don't get access to the quicksave system that enables this behaviour. That said there were previous considerations that also made this more of a "speed up" element as opposed to an outright bad exploit. Players can only receive one additional crate per-map with a 20% chance each time they complete the map so best case a player could simply increase the chances they could have at getting this bonus crate, they were unable to generate "unlimited" crates as the player (as mentioned) is capped at one per map.

Secondly the impact of this exploit really depends on the map - it's more advantageous on maps with a 'trickier' ending, e.g Pink on surf_rookie or maps that were linear but it also required that the player was able to complete the map as well. I'll have a discussion with @Kaiden and @Killermon to determine what we think is a fitting reward for this.

Chaco #11 likes this.
  3. Chaco #11

Chaco #11 [BB] Admin Admin

I was unaware of this during the creation of the thread, section has since been changed inside the thread.

Thank you for your quick response in fixing this issue. It is much appreciated!

Stay Spooky,
    Chaco

4. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Good catch, agree impact is limited as can only get one crate per map anyway, but could be used to guarantee one crate per map if you're capable of beating the map.

Chaco #11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.