Fitness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bundt, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Does anybody work out / do physical activity around here? I know we are all gamers, but that doesn't mean we have to be fatties also. I currently weigh 80kg, not necessarily trying to lose weight, but trying to gain aesthetics. I'm experimenting and seeing if it's possible to gain muscles without going to the gym, and just using dumbbells and a treadmill at home. Diet is key too, as I am a picky eater it's kind of hard, I stick to whole grain, turkey, eggs, and chicken mostly. What do you guys do to stay in shape?

2. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Well, I work out 6 times a week between 2-5 hours a day.

It is possible to gain muscle without going to a gym. Your just going to have to be more creative with your body and use exercises that target those specific muscles.

I eat 4 times a day, every meal has a serving of protein, a serving of carbohydrates and a serving of vegetables (usually, once every two weeks I get an off day where I can eat anything). Each serving should be the size of your fist. That will boost your metabolism and cause you to lose weight faster if weight is an issue.

I swim everyday and run just about every day too. I tend to work on upper body muscles three times a week and lower body three times a week. With a day break in between each. If you want to put those dumbbells to good use, do a lot of super sets with them. Not only will it kick your ass you will see some fantastic results.

I tend not to use dumbbells too often anymore, most of my workouts consist of building core strength through pullups, pushups, situps, crunches, leg levers, flutter kicks, 1/2 situps, 8-count body builders and ton of other shit including a lot of cardio. Currently I can do 350 pushups and 350 situps in a day no problem. Trying to get up to 700.

Tomorrow's workout:
    3-mile timed run in 21 mins or less
    1-mile swim w/ fins in 30 mins or less
    3-mile timed run in 21 mins or less
    in a total max time of 1 hr. 15 mins.

and w/e else I feel like, probably more swimming.

3. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

You crazy dawg.

I wish I had access to a pool.

4. Zeke

I started pretraining for SEALs over 4 months ago so I get that a lot. Also yea that's one of the reasons I didn't go tothe gym in my community, no lap pool. Just a regular pool, so I started going to the one across the street.

5. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

I wish I could comment on this thread, but alas, I cannot.

6. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

You live next to a pool?

Also no, can't say I exercise, I eat loads yet have an awesome metabolism woo, don't eat bad food particularly though.

Plan to get healthy at some point, problem is no sports centre in easily accessible reach and so I'd have to buy equipment for home etc.

7. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Regarding muscle gain, you need to set yourself up so you're prepared to take it all on.

I have fields and a huge gorge near where I live so I go running most mornings for around 45 mins. I'm also following the whole 60/40 thing, 60% of what you should eat and 40% of whatever I want.
    At the end of the day it boils down to removing calories and trying to prevent your body suddenly storing fat. My sports teacher in highschool basically said you need to do more than what you take in during the day.

Zeke, with your medical "history", I doubt they'd let you in the SEALs :v:

8. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

It should prob be more like 80/20, if your looking for faster results. It depends though, losing weight and gaining muscle are completely different things. Calorie intake is a big factor, but eating the right things is the better way. Eating 1000 cals a day doesn't do anything to your weight.

9. Zeke

Too late, already accepted into Navy so I doubt they would find out. I told them only what they need to know and nothing else. They did medical background checks and everything was fine. And I actually had Lieutenant Colonel approach me who personally asked to swear me in.

Bundt, it all depends on what kind of results you want to see. What are you looking to improve on? I can give you some good advice based on the results you want to see, even workout plans (that are not as strenuous as mine).

10. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

80/20 if you feel like being a rabbit. 60/40 if you're fine and just want to enjoy yourself. Basically for muscle gain you need protein. Loads of protein. And whey.

11. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Seals are a lot more hardcore then navy. Seals is like special ops shit

12. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

SFSGs where it's at ;)

13. Biff Johnston

Biff Johnston <MARQUEE><h1 style="color:Green">[BB] Grand Master

I get massive cartio running from the cops

14. Zeke

Yea but you pretty much need to be in the Navy first before you can become one.

And lol Biff.

15. Elk

Elk ecology enthusiast

DDR for at least 45 minutes every other day, various 'smaller' things on days I don't play that.
    And every time I get up from the computer to pee, I run in place until I'm out of breath. It's not much I guess, but it seems to be helping my legs and back not cramp up from sitting too long.

16. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

I'm probably the farthest from the most healthy, and I have nearly nothing in the way of muscle, but throughout all four years in high school I was between 100-120 lbs (45-55 kg), and now I'm about 140 lbs (65 kg) at 5'11 (180 cm). Guess it goes to show weight doesn't really indicate health.

17. Zeke

No it doesn't really. A slightly overweight person can be healthier than someone who isn't overweight so long as they are physically active. Now when your obese...all hope is lost.