Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Kaiden, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

As seemingly 90% of my friends are playing this game I guess quite a few here are too.

Heard pretty good things, general praise across the board. Don't really have £35 spare to buy it right now but might grab it for Christmas off my brother or so.

Post your thoughts anyway and confirm/deny the hype (teddi banned cause he doesn't like good games)

2. giantzfan53

giantzfan53 Member

Favorite Xbox game by far, been 5 days and haven't even discovered 1/5 of the map yet, not even including the over 150 dungeons still to explore.

3. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Paying for offline games. HAH

4. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Love it.

Edit: Although, I've been playing it on too high of a video setting, and it has caused my monitors to shut off about five times thus far. Anyone know a quick restart of the video card without doing a hard shutdown of the computer?

5. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

I would pay for games, but recently I can't play a single game for more than 3 hours. Usually after that I don't touch it ever again. So, yeah.

6. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

It's fun but it's not a kind of game I get wrapped up in and play forever.

7. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

[youtube]idqelTGpb6s[/youtube]

8. Kaiden

awesome horse

9. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Pretty much my favourite game this year.

AND I actually bought it! :O

Ive got 30+ Hours play time and I've barely started the main storyline :D

10. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

I've been so busy with work I've only logged two or so hours, and it's really annoying because every time I go to play it, something else comes up. That's life I guess.

11. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

It's a massive improvement over Oblivion and the fact it drew me in without me having to feel like i had to draw myself in is a good thing. I can't comment too much about gameplay due to aquiring my copy in a different manner, but the main gripe is the sucky menu navigation.

Otherwise it's far more enjoyable. I still need to play it a bit more to get an overall view on it.

12. sConed

sConed Member

That's because you can't start a game without immediately using console cheats on it >.>

It's a fun and great game overall. I think it's deserving of the hype it received. My complaints about the game only center on the large amount of bugs in the game(although many of them were hilarious) and the clunky UI which was clearly designed for controllers and not mice(but you get used to it eventually, not saying that's a good thing though).

13. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

It doesn't deserve GoTY. Other games deserve that far much more.

14. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

but I didn't even...

15. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

GoTY in my opinion. Already put 73 hours into it and I still haven't even tapped like half the content (my character is lvl 42). The GUI is shit though as Teddi says. Buggy if you aren't using a 360 controller. Although the user-made GUIs that come out later are always better.

16. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

I would like to confirm the hype.

Skyrim is a perfect game in nearly every way. It has a massive amount of content, its environments are beautiful, it has fairly good voice actors, good combat mechanics, lots of unique items and locations, most importantly very fun to play. Also, although it's not designed specifically for PC, it has plenty of graphics options, sound options, and custom keybindings, and works great on the PC, which is somewhat rare nowdays.

The only real problems I'm having with it are the glitches, but that's pretty much to be expected.

Also, I didn't mind the GUI too much. The favorites system (which has hotkeys and an easy menu) saves quite a lot of time by allowing you to quick select different items quickly and efficiently.

[video=youtube;bGohcX7S42w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGohcX7S42w[/video]

17. Perry

Perry The best guy ever

It's pretty fun, I actually want to play it even after completing the main story, I never had that with Oblivion. Couple annoying bugs, like my Shadowmere died..

18. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Shadowmere is supposed to be immortal so that's definitely a bug. Same thing happens when you ride her off a cliff.

19. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

I still have the unfortunate problem of my monitors shutting off, even running it on medium video settings. I didn't think my video card sucked that bad. On to low settings I guess...

20. Kaiden

Overheating or such? Naturally you'll have tried upgrading drivers, could just be time for a replacement card.