Coding

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kaiden, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Discussing coding with Teddi I came to the realization that very few coders have ever actually come through BBs doors. They seem extremely rare, at least ones who can code something reputable.

Personally I'm not sure myself. I know picking up coding (in lua) could potentially help with the more menial or monotonous tasks in relation to coding here, but at the same time I find the concept quite daunting and feel that without a lot of experience I wouldn't be able to provide much. On top of that, most people that have come through here learning coding often asked Teddi for solutions/information when they first started out and to me that feels like it'd impede the development of coding, mooting the original purpose in starting.

I've quite enjoyed working with CSS, HTML and some others, but I don't feel I've picked up any particular stills that'd help in the transition to Lua.

But with that said it's still something I think some people should consider like I am, if they're interested in helping, especially if you have knowledge of other languages. But yeah to the thread, was wondering if anyone here has ever considered getting into coding (whether to help BB or not), in whatever particular language (or perhaps you already work with it), and if not, what are the main barriers you encounter which prevent you from picking it up?

2. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

I've always considered doing coding in Lua, C++, or Java but the main issues that I have are time and commitment to it.

3. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

My advice regarding languages is stick to a decent language and learn what you can about it. At the end of the day most languages function the same in the sense of they all have similar features, but their syntax and way of doing it is fairly different.

• Lua is a pretty decent starting ground as a low level language (especially GLua) because it doesn't have any real annoying rules and it's easy to read / work out what's doing what.
    • C# Is ideal as well for new starters that want to get into a slightly more heavy enviroment that can lead straight to developing apps and higher end things (such as Terraria). C# is Microsofts answer to Java and it's an excellent choice for new users.
    • Java you want to avoid entirely. Any language that uses a Virtual Machine just for compatability with multiple OSes is fundamentally flawed. Yes I am saying Minecraft is terrible in terms of programming and Notch is a shitty developer because all he knows is Java.
    • C++ don't bother with until you've done a higher end language or you're pretty confident in your skills. It's a heavy language that hands you all the tools and leaves it up to you as to what you should do.
    I don't mind being asked a few things whilst people are learning (Whitefang did that all the time) but I don't expect people to literally try and get me to give them answers.

4. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

The main reason I'm thinking about learning Java is that the school that I attend has an elective that teaches Java programming, and because through it I would be able to modify Minecraft.

I've had some experience with Liberty BASIC previously, but, as the name itself implies, the language is not very complex and is easy to learn.

5. Teddi

You would be better off not doing it and trying to find another language if possible. Obviously if you have little to no choice then it might be ideal, just to at least get you on track with the basics of programming as a whole.

6. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I could barely make a proper system when I started working on RP.

7. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

I've been learning C# for the last couple of weeks :D

The only barrier I've found so far is finding the time as the slightest distraction completely throws me off.

8. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

I dunno what to post. I have done C++, C#, some Java, a splash of HTML, I looked into Lua, but I find that the problem is no one knows how to teach it. So I have to read a giant book but I learn through doing. So unless I code I can't learn, however I cant code without learning. So frankly I have no fucking idea how to get back in there. /shrug

If I could get back to work I could do something

9. Teddi

Each language is not something you have to relearn. If you're taking that approach to it then you're missing something.

http://www.lua.org/pil/

10. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

I have mediocre (school exp) in vb C++ Java HTML and CSS, but I don't see what mediocre coders can do to help you. I looked into lua, very similar to many languages.

11. sConed

sConed Member

I've got some experience with C++ and Java. I've looked into lua, but I simply lack the ability to commit myself to anything.

12. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

I've used C, C#, Visual C#, C++, Java, HTML, Javascript, Visual Basic, Uscript, and some other shit I can't really remember.

13. Teddi

I find it interesting many of you use C++ as an example. If that was the caes then I hardly see how Lua would even pose a challenge seeing as it follows many of C's rules.

14. Cwivey

Cwivey See-wivey!

Vb.net, being working with the darned thing for over a year and still hating it. :<

15. Teddi

Break away to another language!

16. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

VB is just shitty in every way.

17. Teddi

I'm surprised they never just took the jump and try to make it more uniform with C based languages.

18. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

VB can be fun to use sometimes. Visual C# is better though.

19. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

I know C, C#, C++, Java, JavaScript, Python, HTML, CSS, Basic, DarkBasic (had to help my brother learn this shitty language), Fortran, Ruby, and I've been on and off trying to learn LUA. Also, I know なでしこ (read: "nadeshiko"), Japanese programming language.