Map Selection Committee

Discussion in 'Server Chat / Updates' started by Kaiden, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

We've decided to open up the map selection process more, and subsequently are looking for members to help select or rule out submitted maps.

Main duties will be:
    • Finding applicable maps for BB servers.
    • Testing maps submitted by the public/other committee members.
    • Communicating with other committee members to decide whether a map should be used on the servers.
    • For Surf, using the Surf Area Management Tool to make the map server-compatible with stages etc.
    Requirements to Join:
    • Be able to construct meaningful feedback in regards to maps. You should be able to accept constructive feedback on i.e. maps you've submitted yourself, and have discussions without them escalating into anything negative.
    • Regarding player-ability, you should be able to comfortably complete maps to ensure you can fully test them. If a map is submitted that you feel is too challenging then you can advise that as feedback.
    From this, we're looking for people who play regularly, who ideally already contribute to the forum, and have plenty of experience playing.

The Process:

The process for the committee will be as follows:

1. A player submits a map for a server to the appropriate thread;
    2. The committee will post in a sub forum set up for them to discuss the submission, pointing out strengths and weaknesses.

3. If a Surf map, using the Surf Mapping Tool to ensure the map is set up to the standards expected for the server.

4. An initial decision should be reached by the committee. If the map is denied, the committee should advise the initial submitter. If the committee agree it should be added to a server, then Teddi will make a final decision and either add it or advise why it won't be added.

For the interim, eth9n will be leading the committee, as he has shown he can identify maps that fit the server, and is committed to ensuring the best for the server.

With this process, Teddi shouldn't particularly need to be involved except for final review and adding to the servers. We'll see how it works, and if changes need to be made they can be, but otherwise it should speed up maps being looked at significantly (and allow Teddi to focus on other things!)

If you're interested, please reply below. Posts can be brief, but you should include how experienced you are with surfing, and why you're qualified to do this role/any previous exp (i.e. you've submitted maps in the past). We're not just looking for expert surfers, as i.e. the Easy Surf Server is aimed at varying skill levels.

We won't accept everyone as it's not necessary to have loads of people, so don't take it personally if not accepted. We'll look for varying levels of skill, so we may already have enough members at your skill level already.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    eth9n and NeverReady like this.
  2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Now un-archived. I'll give it a little while for several applications to come through.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  3. Demo

Demo New Member

I'm interested in joining the committee - i have about 2 years experience in surfing and i have played a lot of deathrun in the past. I have completed all maps on the easy server and a few on the hard server. I would like you to consider me for the committee (mainly for the surf map submission). Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. CrystalCastles

CrystalCastles Active Member

I would like a spot on the committee. I'm not the greatest surfer but I have ~3 months experience and can clear all [BB] Surf (easier) maps and can clear a decent amount of stages on the hard server. I personally find maps with a good challenge to be the most fun but I can gauge whether or not a map is too hard to be a good fit for the easy server. Other than my surfing skills I have close contact with the committee leader so communication certainly won't be a problem. I know I haven't been on as much lately but that's only because I'm trying to do more things for the community which at the moment means moderating the unofficial discord which I've actually put a lot of focus on. And I think this would be a great chance to give even more to the community.

5. CrystalCastles

CrystalCastles Active Member

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I also play deathrun a decent amount so I know my way around those maps as well.

6. a big Wookie

a big Wookie New Member

I would also like to apply for a spot on the committee. I have had a lot of practice over the last few days with the surf map tool that Teddi created. I set up a few Tier 1 maps to give myself the experience that I needed with the tool. Invisible walls, way points, etc.

Link to all the maps: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tqz0ii7yw96m7qx/Tier+1+Easy+Maps.zip
    (while the maps I set up weren't intended to be suggested, some of them are well made and would be nice on the easy server)

I also included the .bsp files so you don't have to bother looking for the map file online.

I can be useful by taking the submitted maps and getting them ready for the actually server, easy or hard, since I know the tool pretty well. I am also not the best surfer around but have completed a hand full of tier 4 surf maps. As far as death run or any other BB game mode goes, I don't play much, but I would be willing to if needed

My steam name is "a big Wookie"

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016