Can anyone help me upgrade my computer?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Sleepydragn1, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

Here's my Specs:

Dell Dimension DIM3000
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    2.66 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

I have a budget of about $300, my main priorities are a new graphics card, CPU, and motherboard

Also, I know my spec information isn't comprehensive, if someone could tell me how to get comprehensive information, that would be great.

Also, If someone could tell me what to look for in any of these, then I might be able to go on my own on this.

I hate my FPS/Lag/Garry's Mod Freeze-Ups =/

2. Cellular

Cellular New Member

Two words, man: ask Corran! ;D

3. cpf

cpf <s>Heckler</s>

You probably couldn't get a new mobo, gfx card, and CPU for $300, without downgrading them all :p.

For starters, 512mb of RAM sucks. Upgrade it to at least 2gb.

If you have a PCIEX16 slot (probably do?), then I'd recommend getting a evga or similar graphics card upgrade. 8800GT offers lots of performance for your buck.

Well, I'm guessing your budget is exceeded by now :(

4. Sleepydragn1

I'll just say, I believe I have at least like 1GB (I think 2GB) more of RAM, it's just I dunno where to find ALL of the information. I think 512mb is just the RAM included in the processor or something.

Well, and I know I probably can't get all of them, I'm just saying that's what I think I need.

/me Stares at Corran, but he doesn't seem to notice.

5. Hydroxyl

Hydroxyl New Member

Stop right there, your going to want to save up a bit more and go with a whole new rig. Assuming you can still use all the peripherals you have now (monitor, kb, mouse, speakers etc), you'll need about $500 for a decent rig. The problem will Dells are that they are very highly proprietary. That's not to say that they can't be upgraded, but you have the chance of encountering certain issues. So yeah, that's my suggestion, go with a whole new computer.

Check out newegg.com the last 3 computers I've made I've gotten everything from there. Except for my case, I found it for $20 cheaper from this Yahoo store.

6. Sleepydragn1

Well, I know about newegg, but I don't know exactly what to look for in the hardware. Also, my brother has a computer that is even older then this, and he basically replaced everything by hand and it can support Crisis at almost maximum settings.

7. Corran

Corran Active Member

Actually, most gaming computers can handle Crysis at full settings. I just depends on the monitor's resolution and/or Anti-Aliasing/etc etc.

I'd agree with Hydrox. Wait until you've got a bit more cash.

8. Sleepydragn1

Well, in the long term, I would like to basically replace everything except things like printers, headphones, hard drives, web cams, routers, modems, etc.

9. Eddie Dorama

Eddie Dorama The Fail Man

You can't modify it.

10. Sleepydragn1

Wait, wha? I believe I can.. at the least I can replace stuff like the graphics card.

11. cpf

cpf <s>Heckler</s>

Well, my experience with dell upgrade-ability is that my computer used BTX standards (which have identical pinouts to ATX), but of course this is nowhere in the manual, the tech support guy claimed I "should of researched it," the business tech support guy said "sorry for the misunderstanding."

Build your own computer is the only way to go.

12. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

The thing with Dell is that they supply 350W / 450 Power supplies. Ie, I've heard cases where people have bought from Dell and the computer dies because there isn't enough power. It would just be better to buy a complete new rig. Why? Because everything inside it could probably use replacing. You want to upgrade but in the long run it would just be better to buy a new PC instead of running into problems while upgrading (Dell PC's are not meant to be upgraded).

13. Sleepydragn1

The thing with Dell is that they supply 350W / 450 Power supplies. Ie, I've heard cases where people have bought from Dell and the computer dies because there isn't enough power. It would just be better to buy a complete new rig. Why? Because everything inside it could probably use replacing. You want to upgrade but in the long run it would just be better to buy a new PC instead of running into problems while upgrading (Dell PC's are not meant to be upgraded).[/quote:16e99g4c]

Though, It would still be possible to remove my hard drives and put them in the new computer, right?

14. Jamez5000

Jamez5000 New Member

Yes, the same with a lot of other hardware (IE: Optical drives). The rig you listed will not run games very well at all. You can not spend $300 and expect to be lag free unless you're looking forward to going to low settings all the time. Corran, most computers can not run Crysis at full settings because Resolution and AA is infact a setting, so therefore you would have to put that at full, which 1080p with max AA just isn't going to happen for "most computers" or even most gaming rigs. In my opinion, I would wait until you have more money or perhaps ask for gifts this holiday. There is no point in "upgrading" to another shitty computer which will require another upgrade immediately.

15. LavaEagle

LavaEagle New Member

Download RAM

16. The Jerry

The Jerry Active Member

Dude Super Bump Much?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.