Warranting etc

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kaiden, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Let's look at this scenario; (Decided to post here, can't remember where this goes).

3 goons have locked themselves in "Apartment C", they are shooting out of the window and killing anyone who appears a threat to them. They refuse to open the door.

So the logical thing to be would be warrant the owner, I assume. But then everyone screams "Meta-gaming!!!", so I ask how you warrant someone without "Meta gaming", or how you effecitvely get into the room.

2. River Rat

River Rat New Member

You say I need a warrant for the room over IC. Or a "Grant" to enter the building.

To the mayor.

If they yell metagaming, they are we-todds.

3. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

But when you do a warrant you warrant a player not a room >_< Just trying to work out how people can use "OMG META GAME" as an excuse when warranted lol.

4. River Rat

River Rat New Member

You roleplay it as if you where using the room, or house, not every place they own.

Like the legal system in life.

You have a warrant to search jims car, or a warrant to arrest Bob, or a warrant to search Jerry's apartment, or warrant to search ever door on the hotel floor.

This is RP, use it like its real.

5. Craig

Craig New Member

No, I think you're misunderstanding. What Kaiden is saying is that you can't effectively warrant someone without knowing their name. If you have a CP just look at the name on the door and tell the mayor, that is meta gaming. It used to not matter because people didn't know and/or care, but now they'll do anything to get out of being caught.

Even if you do RP it, most of the time the CP will ignore anything the mayor says, and just barge into the room and kill/arrest the person with the big red "I'm a bad guy" words over their head.

Maybe we should just make it so the combine have records of what houses you bought? I.E. they just look at the door and know who's it is. This would be a lot better than making a new type of warranting or something.

6. River Rat

River Rat New Member

ITS Roleplay, On a roleplay server.

Thats what you call roleplay, see?

Its where you do what you should do if your in the role of your character.

If your a cop, You obey the chief and or mayor.

If your a gangster, you be thuggish of sorts

If your mob boss, you try to rally the Gangsters for crimes.

If your a chef, you cook food and then murder your customers.. I mean what?

Roleplay is what you do. If you can't RP properly as a CP, you don't play CP.

imo.

7. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Use the Combine People Database, it keeps track of who lives where.

8. Stanley Kowalski

Stanley Kowalski New Member

I think Teddi once said that the mayor himself can come to the door and see who owns it, then warrant that person.

9. Overlord

Overlord lolz to can't say @dmin

Yeh this is allowed so basically more danger for the mayor to come out and read it for you.

10. Erogoan

Erogoan New Member

Easy Groove Street kidnapping.

Too easy; this would be a problem and would be abused by gangs who hide in deep sections of the city and overwhelm the police and get to the Mayor. Doesn't real life have some sort of person who makes a living out of knowing door owners? (Chief maybe for the server?)

11. kristoferjm

kristoferjm New Member

I tend to remember Teddi saying on a thread somewhere you can warrant someone using F4 on a door (Combine Door Database). I couldn't find the exact thread though.

Though you do realize that it would be nearly impossible for CPs to get through a door if they couldn't get the name off of the door? You would basically be making it extremely difficult for the CPs to get inside places.

12. cpf

cpf <s>Heckler</s>

It's either they can read F4, or they can bust down any door they want...

13. Robert Benson

Robert Benson Ze Captain

I also remember Teddi saying the use of a combine database was in effect for warrants. Some people would probably then say this isn't HL2 RP... but it's a mix of HL2 and RL so the database will still exist :)

14. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I'll redo the rule then.

Let it be heard here first.
    Oh, and the combine database is for srs only.

The mayor OR police chief may visit the door, to get the name. The reason PC is added because in effect he is who controls the police etc etc. You cannot F4 the door. That way, you can take a risk or leg it. And if both are captured, then, and ONLY then can cp's read the door.