(RP QoTW 5.5) Serious / Unserious servers

Discussion in 'Server Chat / Updates' started by Teddi, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Because http://www.bbroleplay.co.uk/forums/...)-Player-interaction-Knowing-player-names-etc. went mostly ignored, I figured I'd ask a question that's been bugging me for some time.

At the moment we're currently only planning to have one server for RP (not including location servers). This would mean that everyone has to share a server for their RP type and regarding the script, we're aiming for enviroments where those that want to be serious, can be, and those that want to artfully dick around, still can.

The problem with this is that eventually the balance will swing so I'm pondering how people would enjoy a second server with a specific (non/serious) theme a while after release. However the concerning problem with that is one server then becoming deserted and not being actively used whereas the other server reguarly being active.

So, thoughts?

2. Tubbimora

Tubbimora New Member

I personally think that it would be best to have one specific server for everyone that is strict but laid back, kind of like how RP08 was. If there are two servers, it could essentially be splitting the community into two halves, one for those who like to roleplay casually and those who are serious about it. Then again, you could argue against that with many points as there are benefits to having two servers with different attitudes; I'm sure someone will bring them up.

3. Teddi

I agree with your points completely, just the whole strict but laid back thing just seems odd. I was going to originally go with that, so I suppose we'll have to see how it rolls.

4. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

One specific server, if people want serious they go somewhere else, who would arguably do it better due to a lot more experience. RP08 was a working system that people enjoyed, if we had 2 servers then it'd just split the playerbase as well as popularity on the servers (20/20 20/20 instead of just a 40/40)

5. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Or 40/40 and 40/40.

Double servers means double capacity!

Oh, and you'd have different characters on both servers.

6. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Perhaps! Just varies, I'm open to the idea of 2 servers, but that'd mean double the work load too, or would it be the same script on both?

7. Dan Pyre

Dan Pyre Member

I'd say it depends on how you and your fellow developers feel if your script would work better as a Serious or Fun Roleplay script. For example, I've been playing around on the (asterisk) *gaming RP Servers recently, and while they claimthat their RP servers are serious, I have yet to see more than one admin on at a time, and I've only been caught breaking the rules once (admin was invisible, doing admin camping catching people breaking one rule at the bank. lolwut?).

THEREFORE, I'd say that depending on the time/effort your admins can put into regulating the server will determine whether or not the server should be Serious or Fun. Only got 5 admins all in different timezones? Fuck it, don't bother with serious. Have dedicated people (or will recruit those that are) who are willing to be (somewhat) hated by the community (of dmers) for enforcing the rules, but improving the quality of roleplay? Go Serious.

In any case, if you see that the servers do start to get full, I'd recommend also pulling a leaf from *gaming's book - they have two 'GangWars' servers. Basically those servers have a different gametype, but essentially the rule of thumb is, 'If you can't RP, join here to dm the fuck out of other people without rules.'

8. Teddi

Well the thing is, the script doesn't quite leave things open to abuse. It was designed to flow in the sense of those that want a quick fix of something can get it whereas those who want something more can also get something out of it. At the end of the day you're not going to just be breaking into houses with lockpicks anymore nor are you just going to camp there and farm druglabs.

I know many enjoyed the half and half we had but I have a slight feeling that irregardless of what we have, it's going to end up leaning one way or another. If we were to setup a second server, it'd be a few weeks after the initial launch of RP etc.

9. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

One to start, if there is outrageous demand for supr srs then edit script and make it 40/40 40/40