Double cubes day?

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Chase, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Chase

Chase [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

I thought of this idea to come to the forums and see it was a thing on DR years ago. But that was a weekend, what I'm thinking about is maybe one day of double cubes to get more people playing on the server a certain day. Although I've been playing the server a lot more lately and tbh a decent amount of people already play. Just an idea. Maybe there is a reason it isn't something already.

2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

So for quite a while we've had mid-week cube bonus Tuesday-Thursday where there's a 150% cube bonus to all earned cubes. This is to help with getting players on in term time when the server is historically the quietest mid week. With COVID-19 closing schools arguably this could have been turned off until September, but I feel it still brings in value.

August each year is our Anniversary event, and there's loads of incentive to play during this time, including more cubes (and lots of free items).

I do like the idea of more events, and cube bonuses are one such reward. We feel we already give out a lot of cubes however, on some maps with my modifiers I can earn 10K+ cubes with the mid-week bonus from just one map, there is however quite a contrast when you have zero modifiers (no Plat etc).

3. Chase

Chase [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Id think you all don't wanna take from other servers but mini-events would be cool. Nothing too flashy but on some bhop servers I play on they will have a random word pop up in chat and first to say it will get cubes and, it'll say how quick they were. Or a math question. It could really be anything. But something like that might get people open to using chat more?

4. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Yeah there's definitely more that can be done, although need to be careful of anything that could "annoy" players or obscure the screen - we deliberately keep the UI minimal which we know time runners appreciate. Could always be opt-in types of events, quizzes etc, although these could always be hosted on Discord which we need to get better at promoting (although popularity is increasing per month).