End of a (server) era.

Discussion in 'Blog Posts' started by Teddi, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Blog Post

Before anyone panics - no we're not shutting down, that's not the point of the Blog Post. Specs for those that want a SS. Ultimately it's time to wave goodbye to an old friend, albeit his HDD will forever live with us.

2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Good blog! With donations probably pretty minimal right now, what's your plan to pay for the monthly server cost if you're looking to stop hosting other community's servers? (bbservers)

3. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I'll continue still hosting those that we have, most of these are long-term anyhow and won't go away any time soon, and I'll also continue to do private hosting. I mean ultimately it's a two tier thing - on one hand Montreal (sadly) is no longer of any use because of issues out of our control. As I said, things at the datacentre are a bit iffy and for what we're getting, $118 p/m is pretty stupid.

I have on a few occasions had to make up the bill out of my own pocket, but that said I've used these servers for other things than [BB] so it's only fair that this happens. There are plans to reinvigorate and bring to life some long-standing things that are long overdue. It's a case of being willing to cross that threshold and organise (and solidify) resources. Certain licenses will also no longer be required due to the nature of what [BB] used to entail.
    Plus, it's a huge time saver. I'm not trying to maintain a business and deal with support and all that any longer. It's really stretched me thin and it's been for the worse I think in hindsight.

4. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

Good night, sweet prince.