Hey Teddi - DDoS Attacks?

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by Sexy T. Rexy, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Sexy T. Rexy

Sexy T. Rexy New Member

So Teddi, I've been online during the last 2 DDoS attacks the server has suffered from, and I'm wondering: how easy is it to DDoS the server? There's loads of protection out there to prevent things like this from happening, so have you considered purchasing into a VPN or possibly something like worldstream? With the frequency of these attacks, I would greatly consider it since there's not much to do against an attack nowadays unless you can prevent it entirely. I just got on the hard server today too ;/ anyone with some ideas should post what they know about defense against DDoS'ing, the server would greatly benefit from it in my eyes.

2. NeverReady

NeverReady [BB] Admin Admin

I don't really think you should forum post this. I think a direct message would be better for this discussion.

3. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Without going into loads of details about what protections there are, I don't think many servers can do much about a 20GB attack when it happens. Will let Teddi reply though!

Rhythums likes this.
  4. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Also by this post I guess you're reporting the server was DDoS'ed throughout the night? eth9n reporting the servers were down for 5 hours tonight.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    NeverReady likes this.
  5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Firstly, I'm just going to state it absolutely infuriates me when people go on about stuff they have no idea about related to this topic. Tonight there was no network attack.

Assuming such things is naive and shows absolutely no understanding - especially when all other servers are up without issue.

Typically I wouldn't even bother explaining this - but for the sake of everyone and your own ignorant self - DDoS protection is not easy - especially when it's far easier to attack than it is to defend. Furthering that we do have protection in a number of forms; however packet scrubbing / filtering is not easy and the attack can still be noticed to a degree, especially when the design model is based around a server->client relationship.

A VPN is worthless and the fact you even bothered to suggest this shows absolutely zero understanding of the situation.

Postmortem:

Tonight Surf (easier) went down. This was not due to an attack but the Source Engine (both Lua and VPhysics) freaking out. As a result part of the server crashed - but not the entire thing. With this the monitor that detects the server is dead via process still believed the server was up - because the server itself was still reporting that it was up. All that was required was literally a reboot which has now since happened.

Please, feel free to report downtime or issues to anyone who can get in contact with me. However please don't start baseless speculation because that's how retarded information and rumours start.

Zira, Rhythums and Killermon like this.
  6. Xandrah2

Xandrah2 Fear me puny humans!

Anyone who thinks it is can just look at Blizzard. If fucking Blizzard can't protect themselves from DDoS attacks as a huge company with billions of dollars, what chance does anyone have if someone tries hard enough.

Also it is silly to think that any server problems are DDoS attacks, there are a lot of things that crash servers.