High Ping

Discussion in 'Server Chat / Updates' started by Squaesh, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Squaesh

Squaesh New Member

Tried to log onto surf today, 6.10.17 at 11:38 PM U.S. Central. Nobody was on and my ping was around 1000, as opposed to my usual 60-100. Just wondering if Teddi/admins are aware or could shed a little light on the situation.

Thanks!

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

It's a regular yearly topic, however two factors were at play here. First of all there's some teething issues with some of the software we're running that needs to be somewhat configured, so unfortunately an application went rogue and consumed 100% of the available CPU resources on the machine which is why the server ping was significantly higher (honestly, I'm surprised it didn't go higher in actuality).

Secondly; around this time of year most people come off their holidays, school starts and people get used to being back in a more standard routine. Historically year on year we always see around this time of year a large dip in player demographics which typically build back up over the November period and returns to most normality over XMas. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just standard behaviour.

NeverReady likes this.
  3. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

That said, it shouldn't be empty at the time you reported, so thanks for pointing out the lag issue. We had over 25 on at one point Thursday night so we're still enjoying decent numbers, but yeah there'll always be a lull after schools start, we're gearing up for Halloween so that'll be our next release :)

4. Carl

Carl New Member

Usually when you get ping, the host while battle it and it will go down after a while.

5. noobpro97

noobpro97 New Member

Is the server run on a custom machine or is it a purchased server slot?

6. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Custom machine. I own the hardware and I co-locate it in a datacentre in Texas.

7. noobpro97

noobpro97 New Member

That's a pretty sweet setup.