Knives - Overpowered or are people just not aware enough?

Discussion in 'Trouble in Terrorist Town' started by Teddi, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

At the moment knives have become a problem in that because Plats can effectively buy as many as they want (as long as they have the credits), it means half the server is decimated purely by knives.
    On the other hand, anyone that has a clue is aware of when people are carrying knives and in crowds it can be argued that it's far hard and to knife and hit the appropriate target. Plus DNA will always lead back to the killer.

I've contemplated adding anti-stab vests for detectives, but this is just yet another terrible boring passive that they can't do much with and doesn't really help normal players.

So, do people think the knife is too powerful in the current state and if so, what would they change?

2. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

For me, it feels more like the melee range is way to long. It feels like everything within about 10ft in a 90 degree radius just dies. A lot of the time however, if the detectives knew how to use the DNA scanner, it would really negate the power of it. I've become a lean mean terrorist killing machine from the DNA they leave everywhere.

3. Cwivey

Cwivey See-wivey!

Finding the DNA doesn't help much when the guy stabs you from 4 metres because the lag compensation puts you closer on his screen than where you thought you were.

I could suggest making the pull-out time longer, so the guy (Xandrah, Joey) isn't able to instantly pull it out in a gun fight and get a simple instant kill on some poor guy's arm because they can't take me on in a head to head battle with a gun. :x

4. Overlord

Overlord lolz to can't say @dmin

Or like a throw leavage?

5. Ashman

Ashman Member

a cooldown timer between using one knife and buying the next one would solve most problems

6. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Or maybe just make the limit a little bit more than 1, but not infinite.

7. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

In it's current form; in which you can buy 6 or more knives in one round if you do it right - it's overpowered. I believe the simplest solution will be to limit it to a maximum of 3 knives, maybe 2. When you start adding in changes like 'won't work on X person' and they aren't documented in i.e. the knife description then you start confusing players, which is naturally something to be avoided.

Also on comments about the range, let's bear in mind that on a standard TTT server without altered mechanics and 100 ping it's basically impossible to kill someone with the knife, making it pretty unusable.

8. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

I'll ask for my money back from platinum if you remove infinite knives! It's the whole reason I bought it

9. Joey Skylynx

Joey Skylynx Minister of Propaganda

Knives should glow red. People would become more aware.

10. Teddi

Pfft
    You've had it long before then

The issue sort of came to light once Platinum had unlimited amounts of knives. Adding cooldowns or a equip timer sort of negates what the knife is about - a quick silent kill.
    I don't really want to have to add an amount system because then I have to rewrite the backend which controls it.

What about reducing the damage on the knife and instead having it slow people down? This isn't what I'm going to do, just tossing an idea into the mix.

11. Xandrah2

Xandrah2 Fear me puny humans!

Okay, and what about the times when I'm literally hugging a guy and it does nothing and they fire one shot and I die instantly? And what about the people (Teddi, Ash, Elk, Cwivey) who buy 7 C4, which just like the knife is an instant kill, but can (theoretically) kill the entire server in one blast. There are plenty of things that can kill people in one shot: C4, a single shotgun shell to the head, deagle shot to the head, rifle shot to the head, pretty much any gun that isn't a pistol or glock now can kill someone in one shot to the head. Sure, a head shot is harder than stabbing someone with a knife, but all it takes is someone standing still for half a second and bang they're dead.

The real problem with the knife is something that can't actually be fixed, and it's one of the problems with the rifle too, they're both really inconsistent. Sometimes it takes 3-4 stabs at point blank range to kill someone, and sometimes it takes 1 stab at 3-4 feet away. And before Teddi made it so the pistol didn't one shot people with a head shot, it was more dangerous than the knife.

12. Cwivey

Cwivey See-wivey!

The c4 is not always an instant kill weapon, it has damage fall-off, only the people closest to the blast get the full damage and there's several ways of defending against it, you can hear the beeping, you can defuse it, and you can ruddy well run away from it.

13. Teddi

Today we had some pretty good examples of where the Knife isn't overpowered. For now I think the best course of action is to leave it as it is temporarily.

However it was also suggested that a cooldown on buying knives should be around 1:30 - 2:00 long, so you can repeatedly buy them, but not within such short timeframes.

14. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

I also didn't pay for it but shush

2 Minutes is quite a long time :L considering most games are over within 7 minutes

15. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Also an example of how it is though, in which I bought 9 in a row and simultaneously killed 9 people with them in a very short amount of time (woo lighthouse).

Then picked up 14 credits off a detective, that was kind of weird.

16. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

I always bought a knife and got mad killz with it, this was when you were only allowed 1. It was perfectly balanced that way. WAY TO MAKE THE GAME PAY2WIN TEDDI YOU GREEDY WHORE

17. Teddi

If the server was full, he probably looted most of the unspent credits from other traitors.