New Surf seasonal reward structure

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Teddi, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

As ever, we're trying to improve and heat things up competitive-wise around here; however we've noticed we don't really have a standardised way of rewards, especially for encouraging those beyond the top 3 to compete.

As a result we've reviewed the rewards structure and for this season onwards we'll now be rewarding the top-10 players, as opposed to the top 3.

The rewards structure looks like this -
    16_16-28-54-5006c057-4e4c-4ef6-94c9-9ecebf954121[1].png

We've reduced and normalised the overall amount of cube gains that the top winners will get; but we've increased the amount of crates as a result and the remaining cubes are spread across various players. If we find that it's generally underwhelming for the top 3, we'll adjust accordingly. Going forwards however, this will be how rewards are calculated and dished out now.

Happy surfing!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
    Lightning, NeverReady, Kaiden and 2 others like this.
  2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Ultimately 1st place could be winning 100 mil+ but they won't have anything worth spending it on; getting additional Surf Winner crates should be a good compromise for lower cube payouts than previous. While the payouts for lower placements aren't overly significant, we hope it helps a little, and if you're just a few away from the top spots (as it's still an accomplishment) it'll nice to be rewarded regardless.

Daddy likes this.
  3. Daddy

Daddy [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

What do you mean they won't have anything worth spending it on? You realize there are items in your store that cost millions of cubes? The playtime to build up that much is quite a lot and winning a season wouldn't even put you that far ahead. I for one love decorating and paint cans or stripper still add up fairly quickly. I want to have fully customized outfits that are color coded and 1 mil ain't gonna cut it, bub. :mad:

4. Kaiden

Well there's only a couple of items that are in excess of 1mil+, which are a few auras (namely Rainbow and Gold), and a couple of pets, all of which are meant to be rare. All of these have dropped from crates currently or previous versions. I don't feel giving giant cube rewards is necessarily best, most players would prefer Surf Winner crates due to the Unusuals they get, which players often value more over cubes (hence why you see people buying crates once they have the items they want).

We've generally been seeing the same people win the seasons, who I imagine are sitting on tens of millions of cubes unless they've invested them all in crates, which is partially what warranted the shakeup and my comments about "nothing to spend it on".

If people want every item and painted variations of each then it's going to get costly, winning a season doesn't generally entitle you to have all that, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way of grinding over time (or feel free to /donate ;) )

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Daddy likes this.
  5. Daddy

The last season was my first season and it isn't exactly easy to win, it requires grinding times for the whole month to maintain #1 on both easy server and hard server maps. While I understand the current competition pool isn't necessarily large for seasons, you've increased the reward range all the way to 10th place so you won't see the same "winners" any longer and by decreasing seasonal rewards by 9 million cubes I don't know if you're encouraging a larger competition pool with lesser rewards either.
    I don't feel like 10 million is giant rather I feel 1 million is underwhelming and limiting for the time and effort required. I've received over 1 million cubes since the beginning of this season just from playtime alone, I get players strive for the unique title and winners crates (which are lovely rewards trust me) but you've pretty much made cubes meaningless seeing as how 10th place could've just played two deathrun maps and been groovy. Take a look at this:
    1. 10 million
    2. 5 million
    3. 2 million
    4. 1 million
    5. 750k
    6. 500k or 700k
    7. 450k or 650k
    8. 400k or 600k
    9. 350k or 550k
    10. 300k or 500k
    This way 1st place still has cubes to buy more than an item and a paint can and the top 10 actually gains incentive to be fought over.

6. Teddi

The value isn't just from Cubes however; but the fact #1 place gets 10 winners crates which contain 4 items each, with a 40% chance to be an unusual (assuming item is eligible for it). It became a moot point to have ever-increasing cube rewards given that we're essentially tossing you rare items that Cubes can't purchase in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    NeverReady, Daddy and Kaiden like this.
  7. Kaiden

To give a static value to an unusual of say 1mil (it's probably higher), and the likelyhood you get 1+ per crate, you're looking at 15+mil worth of unusuals alone. In terms of crafting unusuals would be one of the best value to break down and most expensive to create (if it comes to that).

Daddy likes this.
  8. Daddy

Which is great! But realize that cubes can't buy unusuals, which is the whole point to having it be a separate reward. It's fantastic winners receive crates that give them a chance to receive unusual items, but even upon receiving them that's all they are; unusual items. They can't be sold for currency (at least not yet), so cubes still remain the only means of purchasing shop items. A rare aesthetic item is fine and dandy if you place top 5 and if you're lucky, but until some system for selling or trading is established they hold no cube value. Moreover:
    Unusuals are indeed rare, but, unless I'm mistaken, are not going to be optional to sell back for cubes anytime soon. What's the point in explaining the cube value of an unusual if people can't cash that in? Secondly, it is unlikely, not likely, to get +1 per crate. It's 40% for an item to be unusual and that's even if it's able to be unusual. No matter how you look at it even with increased odds from a standard crate it's still unlikely to receive an unusual and receiving more than one per crate? Even more so unlikely.

I'm not trying to seem ungrateful as it probably appears I'm complaining about not getting 10 million cubes since I'm currently winning the season, but I just don't see the logic behind downgrading the rewards from where they were previously. Alternatively, whenever unusuals are available for sale I think this would be a fantastic change as cubes would not matter that much in comparison to the winners crates; however, at the moment it simply stands unusuals cannot buy you in-shop items and are merely for aesthetics. To clarify, I'm not suggesting decrease the amount of winners crates given because unusuals are arbitrary in place for bringing back up the cube prize, I'm underlining the flaws I see in decreasing cube prize amounts. Going back to what I said previously, It's fantastic winners receive crates that give them a chance to receive unusual items. I'd just like to see the cube prize raise to something a bit more reasonable due to the prices of most items in the shop.

9. Teddi

A problem was that the rewards were simply not standardised, the prize was never always 10 million Cubes (and was only such as of the last two(?) seasons); this is us attempting to formalise that and then see how it goes over time. You're also not wrong about Unusuals (in theory) holding 0 Cube value, but if we were to bump the Cube prize up and later have Unusuals tradeable you'd effectively be double dipping. If we discover later on down the line that the prizes really were too low and short handed it's easy enough for us to give you more - it's harder for us to take it away.

Every so often across the board we attempt to do some normalisation of Cubes to ensure they're not too quick to gain. Sometimes we go overboard (in both directions) but we do like to have the data to back it up first to see how it plays out. For example with Deathrun the numbers were left high allowing players to gain quite a few Cubes quickly - we did a minor pass on it recently and have gently decreased the Cubes gained from that which so far is showing a generally positive result. We may yet do another pass on it but that all depends on success rates, how often players are actually eligible to earn Cubes and so on.

Kaiden and Daddy like this.