[SUGGESTION] Others opinions about maps

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by Chase, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Chase

Chase [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Im not posting this to steal from another server but help give the idea. I play this bhop server and they just added a screen where you can vote for how easy the map is and if the points seem fair and how fun the map is. Something like that might benefit BB since people are always saying "This map needs to leave!" and "This map looks really cool!" So giving a screen where people can vote and give their own opinion without anyone knowing might be nice. Because I could see how someone would say example, kitsune is a bad map. Others might like it but feel they will be bashed on for simply liking it. Also, with that kind of data you might see, okay one map doesnt get played at all by with as little votes it gets as another map has plenty of votes. This is all just to throw out the idea of it.

Here is what the bhop servers looks like: upload_2021-1-26_14-21-56.png

It also gives exp and points per vote.

2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

To me it looks mostly redundant. I'd like to think if someone's voting 1 on enjoyment they should probably not play the map and do something they enjoy.

We know how difficult the maps are on Easy as they're Tier 1 - 2 with a couple of exceptions. Again having players tell us they found it hard or easy is mostly redundant to me - if they're new they're going to find it hard, and experienced players will find anything on Easy simple.

The fact it rewards the player for their input gives the impression maybe the server owner will base decisions off the players inputs - if there's lots of 1's will they remove a map? To me I see that as a slippery slope, if we applied it to BB we'd have removed Kitsune 1 and 2 based on Discord feedback, but then they're extremely popular among newer players and help with the overall popularity.

What I do like is summarising the ouput of the map and showing who did the best, it's something that's been suggested on here before and I think it's an interesting mechanic, although not sure how it'd fit into the current vote screen.

I also quite like the bar showing the server costs % covered for this month, I think it's interesting to show donators what they're donating towards - although do donations then start to taper off once it hits 100% that month like seen with crowd sourcing.

NeverReady likes this.
  3. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

So crowdsourcing feedback isn't bad but a key problem in the surf community, especially at different tiers of difficulty ultimately disagree with each other. With Surf having a decent learning curve many players would likely rank a map such as surf_rookie as being quite hard, whereas pros find it incredibly easy.

This is a really a really good example of a popular map that almost everyone in the "mainstream" seems to hate (Kitsune2) - yet it's one of our most played maps and one that actually attracts a strong number of players. If we were likely to read and monitor feedback like this then it's likely K2 would have long since been removed. Again, agreeing with Kaiden: the fact a person is actively incentivized for giving their feedback regularly like this as well means they're going to slap a button without second thought.

What many people may not realise is we gather stats and track heavily what maps are popular, how often are they completed and what maps actually attract - and detract traffic. Sometimes we base this purely off player sentiment (i.e. outcry in discord / ingame), sometimes we base this purely off statistics; but generally we base this off a mix of both. To give you an idea of one way we track this, we track literal minutes played on a map.

[​IMG]

Kitsune2 has 23,000 minutes (or ~15 days if you prefer) of player playtime in the last 30 (rolling) days yet if we queried players directly: they'd all hate it! Somehow It's a map that's played consistently off it's 12 hour cooldown.

For what it's worth, this blob of space between the bar and the star is meant for a like / dislike system - I've just never been sure if it's ever worth adding so it's functionally not working and admittedly if it ever was turned on, would be a superficial system we'd likely never use.