[SUGGESTION] Remove the Savelocs as a premium feature

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by Red, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Red

Red New Member

It just doesn't make any sense to be a premium feature and makes the surf server worse as a whole, not only punishing new players trying to learn maps but also experienced players trying to perfect a route unless they pay.

Most people aren't going to pay for a feature as basic as this, and are just going to go to a different server to practice routes or maps as this feature in particular has been baseline since forever, you're potentially losing on donations by trying to force people into paying for them. Please just make it available to everyone.

On a separate note, another thing I thought of the other day was it would be nice if the checkpoints worked outside of runs as well, it would be nice to be able to compare times when practicing individual stages.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

For the time being this is unlikely to happen for a few reasons.

What we offer in return for Platinum is very much in the "cosmetics" and non-game breaking features (with a few minor exceptions, e.g. DR) and so currently this is one of our more major "offerings" to those that donate. I agree it's a useful tool albeit that it's not as useful for newer players as you make out - but that's a separate discussion.

Ultimately we don't force people to donate for this feature; we don't force people to donate for core gameplay whatsoever and we're pretty proud of that. It feels that what's being insinuated a bit here is that we run this to make money and we don't. BB for the last 10 of the 12 (or so) years has been ran entirely at a loss. That said however I have some ideas in terms of upgrading the save state system which haven't come to fruition yet and that may result in a "lite" mode being made available to non-Platinum members.

Typically we do ask for one suggestion per thread, but on this one off -

This is unlikely to happen, although I am considering a few ways we might be able to hack it in with the current system. I suppose the key question is do you want this data saved? If the answer is no then this is actually a pretty straightforwards adjustment I think. If the answer is yes then it complicates it and most definitely won't happen for a long time.

3. Red

Red New Member

I guess we'll agree to disagree here, the only situation where savelocs wouldn't help a new player is simply because they aren't aware they exist. Saying a system that allows you to practice specific parts of maps in a gamemode where there are linear maps where you only have one go at it is super disingenuous. Having to redo the entire map every time you fail is not only a waste of time and effort, it'll also cause inconsistency in your route in the long run because a player is more likely to just get frustrated and take whatever they can get. The best players are at that level for a reason, because they've practiced each ramp to near perfection on maps, they aren't getting those times by yoloing a run.

Not that I care honestly if the main thing isn't changing, but no I don't mean essentially a CP WR system saving your best times for each stage, I meant a basic thing that just continues to compare your time you had on that stage from your current PB, which I believe you already store and shouldn't be all that hard to do I wouldn't think.

4. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

To clarify, I'm not saying they're not helpful (they are)- but they can lead players in to thinking they're more useful than they are. If a newer player saves a bad location and doesn't have the knowledge that it's a bad save or why it's a bad save then it costs them time and experience overall. If it wasn't helpful the system wouldn't have been added in the first place.

It won't be majorly difficult but does require some logic changes. Furthering development of this - what about linear maps?

5. Red

Red New Member

I mean I'm not entirely sure about linear maps, it's not like people would be able to readily practice them without savelocs in the first place, without them the system is fine as is. So considering only your premium users would be able to use it that would be up to you on how/if you want to implement that.

6. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Platinum will generally get new features first, often to trial and get feedback on. Some then make it into the general population, but some we leave as Platinum so as to make it appealing. I don't see it as a core mechanic to Surf, and it's actually a fairly new addition to Platinum compared to other perks. I don't think new players would benefit from the feature really, they're spending their first few weeks learning maps and basic mechanics and striving to beat their first maps, new players won't be spamming save/load on a specific ramp to min-max their times to be 2 seconds shorter.

I'm pretty sure it also negates setting times which would impact setting splits, which could hamper progress that way, and also have the player feeling less satisfied when they do beat their first maps as it's "unofficial". They may also feel obligated to use it when you don't need to. I don't think there's any map on Easy that's so gruelling that new players would benefit so massively from the feature, anything like Kit2 is staged so moot really, and there are no long linears that suddenly get very hard towards the end on there.

Like Teddi said I don't feel this or other non-core features being behind Platinum is forcing people to donate, we clearly advertise the perks and it's up to the player. I don't think players donate for one perk, they donate for the 15 or so they get, that and a lot simply want to contribute to something they play often. Possibly it's one of the features that can transition to the general population at some stage in lieu of adding something new to Platinum, but I've not encountered players saying they'll play elsewhere because they can't load their position.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021