Request: Extend map time

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Jasonhiccup, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Jasonhiccup

Jasonhiccup New Member

It would be nice to have an option to maybe vote to extend the map time- or any option during map votes to extend the time for the map.

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

It's something we used to have (by default maps were 15 minutes and could extend 10 minutes every time, up to three times) however it was changed to 30 with no extension as players seemed more interested in that. If there's enough interest I could introduce a /extend feature (an extra 15 minutes or something similar) that with enough players, the map is extended.

My only concern with such a feature is many players don't enjoy sticking on one surf map for too long, so there would have to be visible interest before I add such a feature.

3. Perry

Perry The best guy ever

people usually ask for an rtv because the maps last too long :v

4. Jasonhiccup

Jasonhiccup New Member

How about adding it while requiring a high percentage of players to want it? Such as 80% or so. I see how the 30 minute time limit works out but I don't see why both can't be implemented. If it requires a majority vote to pass, then why exclude something that the majority of the server at the time wants?

5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

The problem that I have with votes is that usually they become bit of a bandwagon, ie people will try the command to see what happens or people will pressure others in to voting. I'm not saying no to such a feature, but I'd rather it be implemented in a more intelligent way, eg if a user has completed the map, the map will rotate at 30 minutes as per usual, if the user is at x stage, (lets say, 7th stage out of ten) then a 15 minute grace period could be added.

The concern goes both ways as well, what if the threshold for the extension time is too large or low, either users will have a difficult time or an easy time extending the map and for a more difficult map the players may just opt to leave. This sort of follows on as to why there's no rtv, because people keep rtving in hope there's an easier map, when in reality they need to learn to adapt and get used to the maps.