(RP QoTW 5) Player interaction - Knowing player names etc.

Discussion in 'Server Chat / Updates' started by Teddi, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I've been toying with the idea for a while now regarding players names, and if they should be hidden, revealed or what. So this QoTW isn't so much a direct question but moreso feedback.

Something we want is that each character in itself feels unique not just to the person that plays it, but to everyone around them. We don't want people to just identify (or go loliknowyousomehowxDDD) randomly. So we were considering a system where you have to "reveal" your name to others.

This would mean that when you first enter the world you would technically know no one and you wouldn't be able to tell who was who. On paper it sounds like a good idea, but in practise it can be somewhat hard to implement and utilize correctly. So whilst out today I came up with system that could work.

Below pretty much shows my train of thought and the resolution I came to

• People cannot see other names unless told or "overheard"
    • The name revealing system can use a radius system - ie if you're within an area you can hear their name and see their nametag.
    • Player models aren't exactly unique, so..
    • If you see / talk to a person often enough you will remember their name on a more permanant basis.
    • If you talk to a person and learn their name once or twice, a degrading feature could be implemented so that parts of the name (or the name entirely is forgotten).
    • If the person has had their identity stolen (spoliers?!) someone else that has it can utilize it to manipulate people / systems
    • Identity fraud could be quite fun if pulled off correctly!
    It's not quite there but I am curious to see how people would take such an idea and if they think such a system would be implemented, or if it's overly serious and isn't really worth it.

2. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What is it with you and hiding loli in random stuff.

3. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Really good idea, But the whole name thing being said/overheard might not work great, Would have to be a smaallll radius, Plus would you be able to just tell them your first name etc? :)

4. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Good idea on paper, can't implement it correctly though.
    Fucking communism.

5. Overlord

Overlord lolz to can't say @dmin

Maybe make A Family Option: Father,Mother,Bro,Son,Auntie,Grandpa,Grandma.

Maybe make A Gangster Option: Leader Gang, Co-Owner, Weapon Handler, Junior-Head, Junior's, Newbie.

If you need them to see their names maybe invited into a group knowing what type of rank they are to them. so they are welcomed into the family. Certian Groups then can be good for buisness make money in the group. Also be able to rp together with in the group. Survive outside fight other groups. Maybe even make alliences.

(I know crap idea)

6. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Eh, overall I think it would be cool at first, then get REALLY annoying, REALLY fast. It would be especially detrimental to the people who like to play with friends. I mean, you could try and find each other over OOC, but that would really more or less defeat the purpose.

7. Overlord

Overlord lolz to can't say @dmin

use /pm's as phonecalls say where you at?

also strict ooc, but local ooc can be still used.

I'd say use ooc min of 20 seconds. If need speek well local it with someone near you? (or for more OOC to tell everyone something important, Well get a admin to grand that user 5-10 mins of free use of OOC).

Also OOC will be used less (Which I think is what is needed) If need help well thats what sign boards are for help. Also a bluddy admin. No need for OOC saying "I am over here hurp derp".

(Also Tab system should'nt realy show people's RP details. Just show Steam ID? lol and image icon of player? just to show people there are people playing in the server.)

8. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

This

9. Teddi

I don't think you quite understand. Once you've known their character for long enough, you would know who they are when you're next to them (see: floating name above head).

10. BlackDog

BlackDog FUMUKU, shall rise again

It sounds interesting, how would this work for any "warrant" system for the police?

11. Mc Diddles

Mc Diddles <marquee><font size="3" color="blue">Justice Team<

You aint going to be roleplaying as a "pet" and thats final.

12. Teddi

You somewhat stole my Q for next week (or midweek if it came to that).

That's the trickier part to implement succesfully. I don't want a system whereas I want a floating text you can see through the world where they are so I may implement a The Ship-style of finding people which is every few minutes (or more!) it will update you on their last position. I guess you could also use the TTT radar as an example of that as well. It means you're not going to know exactly where they are. Heck they may not even know there's a warrant out for them as I don't intend to announce it like in the old days either.

There will be ways of finding out if you're warranted pretty easily though.

13. Cwivey

Cwivey See-wivey!

Do I know you?

For this fact, I'm wondering if it'd be possible to make the user type a physical description of their character to help make identification possible even without knowing a person. Although I supose that's more fitting for Serious RP, *shrug* just an idea.