Steam Summer Sale (aka HOLY SHIT MY WALLET IS BEING RAPED NO STEAM NO WHAT ARE Y-)

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Teddi, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

It's that time of year again when Gabe decides he wants to rape your wallet.

[​IMG]

What is the steam sale?
    It's that point in the year where Good Guy Gabe decides he loves us enough to open his heart and slice the price of gabes by up to 75% (or in other cases, up to 80/90%!) These games can be anything from the latest releases (See: Max Pain 3 for 50% off) to older / indie games being 75% off (or in the Binding of Issacs, 80% off, it was 99p!)

Why should I buy these games now?
    Because the odds are there won't be any more good deals like this until Christmas and even then the same games may not pop up. It's a great opportunity as well to get alt accounts in the event you might need one (for example, idling on TF2).

So what would you recommend?
    First and foremost I would suggest you get what you're generally interested in on the store. These are once in a lifetime sales that are frankly awesome. I've got nearly 400 games on my account and most of these have been through the insane sales that Good Guy Gaben provides for us.

However, I would suggest the following~

• [*=1]Valve Complete Pack - This has every single HL2 game in it. What makes this even better is that for Garrysmod, it gives you all content you will ever require by default and you even get a good few games out of it (Portal Series, L4D2, Half Life Series and so on).

• [*=1]Even if you don't get the complete pack, there are smaller packs such as The Orange Box or the Half Life complete pack which are worth getting. To see all packs click here.
        [*=1]RP for anyone that's curious will probably use content from CSS, DoD:S (possibly) and HL2:Ep1/2. This pack is worth getting for that reason alone

[*=1]Most games under £5 ($7-8). You for the most part cannot go wrong for that price and even if you do, it's a minimalist amount spent.

Other interesting information

Valve are having "Flash" deals that are are on for a specific amount of time. Some deals are one for a matter of hours, others are a whopping twelve hours. During this time games will usually be 60-75% off this time only.​
    The advantage of the Flash deals is that one of them is community voted, meaning you have a chance with the community to get a game you want on sale.

Lastly..

Don't buy a game you want until it's actually on sale. If it doesn't go on sale, wait until the last day to buy it just in case. They usually go through a huge catalogue of games / packs and games you typically wouldn't expect will go on sale (For example, CoD: MW3 was £20 ($27) yesterday!

Otherwise, let the wallet rape begin!

2. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

What steam sales do to you:

[​IMG]

3. BlackDog

BlackDog FUMUKU, shall rise again

I got ya beat

Found 119 Games with a value of
    $1912.82 USD

4. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

=/

5. Mc Diddles

Mc Diddles <marquee><font size="3" color="blue">Justice Team<

Sure is great enjoying the sales with a broken computer, posting from a dell that I found in the attic that can barely run youtube let alone any games.

6. Teddi

What component blew in your PC this time? :v:

So many good deals though, got Tropico 4 for a steal, Arkham City and so on. Only spent around £20 so far thankfully.

7. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Meant to buy Trine 2 when it was reduced, forgot :(

Got LA Noire and some Dungeon Defenders DLC so far. Tropico 4 would be awesome but that'll be cheaper eventually.

8. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Trine 2 is cheap as fuck right now.

9. Elk

Elk ecology enthusiast

Tell me how that Batman game is.
    Also did you get Binding of Isaac 'cause of the sale? I've been trying not to talk about it while I play but holy fuck it's addicting.

10. Kaiden

Ah yeah, it's in the new sale cool.

11. Perry

Perry The best guy ever

Cool gaemz.

I voted for JC2 on that deal thingy so I can try out the MP mod being worked on.

12. Teddi

Unfortunately Dead Space 2 won, JC2MP looks really fun.

I should go try out that MP sometime.

13. Mc Diddles

Mc Diddles <marquee><font size="3" color="blue">Justice Team<

I think the CPU melted after rendering a video. Either that on the video card is fucking up. I've still salvaged some parts and the only things needed for a new computer is the graphics card, powersupply and CPU fan (planning on overclocking my i5 3.3) In total its around £250-£300 but I'm also thinking about getting an SSD while I'm at it.

Still I got Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood for £10 so I'm happy.

14. Sleepydragn1

Fun fact: I played the Trine demo on PSN with a friend of mine, and it was literally putting us both to sleep before we stopped playing it (and this was in the evening, not late night).

15. Teddi

16. Kaiden

Trine's a pretty fun game, it's a shame you didn't enjoy it - but you can't expect everyone to enjoy something I guess.

17. Cwivey

Cwivey See-wivey!

Quick, buy the all the Train Simulation DLC's for a reasonable £645.86!!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO, at 50% off, you can't possibly pass that one up!

Bought the First Mass Effect, lovely game, I recommend it to anyone who hasn't already got it.

18. Sleepydragn1

Perhaps it's just because it was near the beginning of the game (which tends to be slower), but I personally didn't find it to be very fun.

19. Elk

Elk ecology enthusiast

Wait are you fucking serious right now
    God dammit Teddi

20. Teddi

Well got me Need for Speed, hopefully a decent driving game I can use with my gamepad.