Upcoming Surf records + Autohop zone changes

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Teddi, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Tl;dr - https://bbroleplay.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/upcoming-surf-records-autohop-zone-changes.15718/#post-120169

Since autohop zones were introduced I've been keeping a generally close eye on them and their utilisation; as well as complaints that still arise from the lack of autohop etc.

If you're not sure what I'm referring to as an autohop zone, it's these things -
    [​IMG]

There's been some minor success with the zones - however due to poor visibility of them their usage doesn't see that much use; though when they are used it gives a much more consistent and enjoyable experience for the player. However it's taught me two things -
    • Players still don't need global autohop when they learn to actually surf and gain control on ramps
    • However there is a need for consistent gameplay where hops exist in maps.
    So what this means is after the next Surf season, two things will happen.
    1. Autohop zones will be on by default - and records using this system will be eligible as the default record system on the leaderboards; both seasonal and the standard ones.
      • It'll also be clearer that autohop zones are available on the map
    2. All records (other than PBs) will be archived (at the very least for affected maps) and wiped from the leaderboard system.
      • You are still able to earn times etc with the zones off - however there is no separate leaderboard or rewards or doing so; just bragging rights. Possibly even achievements.
    What I would like some assistance with is identifying on maps, main areas that a hop zone is required. To clarify - I'm not going to be adding hops for each and every little shortcut - that's not the purpose of this system. It's to provide consistency on the main path where it's required. Some maps not even have any due to having no actual bhop areas. If an an area shows contention (ie some believe it's required, some don't) then it's likely we'll default to not having a zone for that particular area (unless it's stupidly obvious one is required here).

And finally, no starting area will have an ahop zone. If anything we're looking to prevent prespeeding (by a significant amount) at the start of maps.

Jr6150 and Lightning like this.
  2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Agree it's a positive change, when you think we have 30+ maps on Easy maybe only 5 or so of these actually have ahop zones currently, the vast majority are Linear or easier maps with no bhops.

The amount of players coming in and expecting ahop by default is growing, and while we're not looking to add ahop everywhere, adding it where it's needed for new players i.e. the Lime on Lemon/Lime allows them to continue playing and/or enjoying their experience on the server.

Hopefully people will be fine with it, for those that prefer it off they can do so, if we encounter any problems with it we can make changes as needed. Again the vast majority of maps aren't affected by this, and I think wiping PB's will gives players a purpose to re-achieve them and hopefully surpass them.

Lightning likes this.
  3. Teddi

So prespeeding designing and testing was performed today. Starting with the next season the majority of maps that require prespeed clamping will have this. You also won't be eligible to earn records unless you have pre-speed clamping enabled (which by default it is).

Alora and Kaiden like this.
  4. Teddi

To clarify for people asking -

The below starts as of the next season.

Autohop Zones
    • Will count towards your timetrial record
    • Is only based on areas we allow for the hop, this is not map-wide
    • Can be disabled if you want, no separate category.
    • Will be placed on main routes - if a skip or a questionable route requires a hop, it won't be placed there.
      • If a zone is in a contentious area (some debate one should be there, others debate it shouldn't) then the default behaviour will be no zone placed at that spot.
    Prespeed Dampening
    • Dampens your speed down to 340 u/s in a 3D fashion (X, Y, Z are all considered).
      • You're not teleported back and told to 'slow down', we instead force you to go slower.
    • Only applies at the very start when you begin your run
    • Can be disabled, but records won't count.
    • Will apply to all maps unless there's a reason not to (drops on Dragon, required boost on Fruits).
      • This means maps like Kitsune are affected. We will monitor the situation
    • Will apply to any speed gains you get before going through the starting line.

Zira, Jr6150 and Kaiden like this.
  5. Alora

Alora New Member

pstt you should do this
    add ahop zones to bhop bonuses (Gleam, Sandtrap bonus 3, and summit bonus 3)