[SUGGESTION] Vote Adjustment Regarding AFK Players

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by Phoenex, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenex

Phoenex New Member

Proposal: The /extend and /rtv commands should take into consideration the number of players who have been inactive for some period of time.

Having lots of players on the server is awesome for the community and shows that it is active. This becomes a problem though when using these vote commands, since the number of votes required to pass is increased. While this wouldn't actually be an issue if everyone was surfing, there are often quite a few AFK players who don't surf and don't vote. This makes it hard for the active players to successfully vote to swap or extend.

There may be a way to assign an afk role in relation to the time since their surf timer stopped and to exclude them from the vote % of players to pass the vote. Something like this would allow people to be on the server to socialize or help others without penalizing those who want to pass a vote. A nuclear option could be kicking AFKs, but I understand that is not necessarily an ideal situation. I look forward to seeing other people's opinions and suggestions on this topic.

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

This is something that gets reported often. Players are flagged AFK after 5 minutes of inactivity and are not counted towards the overall tally required for votes. RTV and Extend require 70% of active players.

If you attempt to RTV immediately after a map change, you need to wait until about the 24-25 minute mark (on the map time remaining) for players who have just loaded in to go AFK.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  3. Phoenex

Phoenex New Member

Well that is good to know. I guess the active population must just be larger than it seems at a given time, especially near the ends of maps.

Would it be possible to look into something like moving the /extend to open up earlier? We have 25 minutes to /rtv, but only 7 to extend. With my experience, a few people vote at the beginning of the remaining 7 min, and it always seems like there is a mad rush within the last minute to get a couple more votes in, but not often reaching the number of votes required (the question being: do you want to ruin your current time by voting or try to break your record by just finishing in the remaining time).

Perhaps extending this just a little to 10 or 12 min would give people more of a chance to realize they want to extend? I think this may help with planning especially on maps with the longer run times, where you may be in a continuous run for the remaining 1+ min.

4. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

I don't see the harm in /extend being available from 10 minutes left myself, but may be a reason it's 7.

NeverReady likes this.
  5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Basically it's to do with some player psychology and some info gathered on when players consider "enough is enough" vs "wanting more". RTV is no longer possible at the 7 minute mark which is where extend becomes available (it's effectively a counterbalance).

I do agree that there can be bit of a rush however as a test we recently quietly lowered the % on RTV down to 70% (from 80%) and with that being successful we've (literally yesterday hah) lowered /extend to be 70% as well. We'll keep gathering info and feedback and continue making changes accordingly there.

Kaiden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.