Why does it take so long for gmod to get goin?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by TopgunZX, Mar 28, 2010.

1. TopgunZX

TopgunZX iYo vivo en el Internet!

It can take up to 3 minutes for gmod to start up, on both my computers.
    My desktop computer has 6 gigs of ram, a 3ghz quadcore cpu and a radeon 4890. There is nothing in my garrysmod folder, besides the models and maps for all BB servers and the pulsar effect server. At times it can take up to 4 minutes for gmod to start up.
    For my laptop, it has 4 gigs of ram, some dual core intel cpu, and some nvidia gpu... And it can take up to 5 minutes for gmod to start up on that. And on the laptop there is nothing installed at all in my gmod folder. It only happens with gmod too. Is Garrysmod just fucked up?
    Any ideas?

2. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Garrysmod is just gay like that.

3. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Yea garry's mod is just built really shitty. I've always had the same problem on 4 different computers. It can also be a pain in the ass to connect to certain servers.

4. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

It happens to me too, I usually just exit the start up box and start it up again and it'll usually just start up in 5 seconds.

5. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

This was happening loads to me, I did a fresh install of gmod and save a few maps/addons i really wanted. Boots up almost instantly now

6. Biff Johnston

Biff Johnston <MARQUEE><h1 style="color:Green">[BB] Grand Master

Too many nude skins downloaded, delete some of them.

7. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Gmod is not optimized for memory. It's a very bulky game. Since its a mod, Garry probably was probably not able to manage the memory as he should have, also probably because Garry's Mod has a ton of content to mount.

8. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Garry a few updates ago decided to cache most of the spawn icons on startup, which means that once you're in game there's less lag and whatsnot whilst generating and caching. Not that it's had the desired effect really, but yeah. That's why.