Anyone remember Dungeon Keeper?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by BlackDog, Dec 18, 2010.

1. BlackDog

BlackDog FUMUKU, shall rise again

2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

We'll see, half of what made the game good was the ingenious commentary from the British studio Bullfrog, then EA assimilated them into their empire of bad games. Could be good, but I doubt it'll be as good as DK2.

3. Mc Diddles

Mc Diddles <marquee><font size="3" color="blue">Justice Team<

Nothing can beat Bullfrog's version.

Such a shame that Peter fucked off to create Lionhead studios while the rest of the crew ended up having to join EA London.

4. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Looks fun.

5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

They didn't have to, but they did. fags.

6. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

Dungeon Keeper 2 was immense! I still have my old copy lying around, brilliant game!!

7. BlackDog

As do i, same with a Fragile Alligance cd, yet sadly they no longer work on my vista OS, even with dosbox it shuts down some other program and ive yet to get it to work, it worked fine on Xp, but Vista and Win7 are a nogo

8. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

Evil Genius was a game that got pretty close to the greatness of DK2. Strategy games seems to be a genre that's dying, when was the last time we had a decent City Simulation game? There hasn't since SC4.

9. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I want more proper RTS games.

Along the lines of Red Alert 2.

10. Mc Diddles

Ehhhh... Most RTS's is just who can build the most units the fastest then rush the enemy base. I personally prefer shit like Theme Park and Theme Hospital.

Main reason I perfer base building and defense to shit like Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2

11. Kaiden

DoW 2 wasn't bad, it was just different, the campaign was nice to play anyway, it wasn't anything like the previous games though, and I preferred the old ones, but meh.

Evil Genius I never got into, the immortal super agents would just come into my base, set one thing on fire and every valet I had would run to it and instantly be killed, resulting in repeatedly needing to train them (and rebuild all my stuff), got annoying in the end - it was a fun game but had some serious flaws.

Command and Conquer 4 is an example of RTS deterioration, C&C3 etc was good, EA takes it over and turns it into some no building, stand near objectives to capture them crap - basically a dawn of war 2 rip off, except DoW managed to pull it off ok, also they didn't even finish the C&C story.

12. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

DoW 2 was CoH with what little building that was in it removed (though it did add in squads with personality). It was nice though and I did enjoy the campaigns.
    Evil Genius I've never played albeit Killermon has told me a few times to get it and it does appear to be quite good.

I agree with the C&C complaint. Especially how they churned out expansions after with the same shit.

One game series I'm surprised no one has talked about is the total war series. I only recently started playing these (and even got another total war off steam as it was on sale).

It's a turn based game (as in, similar to Civ 5 when it comes to moving etc) however as soon as combat is initiated, it turns into a RTS which although doesn't give quite the fun zergs that AoE2 or SC give, it can still be quite good, especially as you think in a somewhat tactic manner.

RTS Battle of England V Scotland in this game. He's a terribad tactition, but yeah.
    [youtubehd]Rh8N8v_IiGc[/youtubehd]

Empire Total war if I remember correctly is the most recent Empire game which also includes Naval warfare.

[youtubehd]1y5O3iphzp0[/youtubehd]
    [youtubehd]84P8y1vdBDE[/youtubehd]

Anyhow, back to the main topic of will DK even be any good? I've no idea, I've not heard of the developer, but I do know of the publisher as they made and published the Tropico Series. If they have any hand in this development, I could see a few things being very buggy.

13. Kaiden

I played Rome total war, but that's about it, I might pick up one of the others at some point though.

14. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

My favourite strategy games are the ones that are nice, relaxed and slow, give you a chance to build up before you kick the shit out of the other opponents, zerging is boring - hence one of my fave RTS games is Sins of a Solar Empire.

15. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Not much of an RTS player myself, I liked the AoE series just because they we're easy to pick up.

Age of Empires 2 for lyfe.

16. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I should make an AoE2/RA2 map with huge amounts of neutral towers in the middle, which disappear after 10 minutes.

Provided we get some [BB] RTS teams going.

We should 2v2/3v3/4v4/5v5/6v6 on AoE2

17. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Yes, Yes.

Make it happen.

18. Mc Diddles

It was decent, but not an RTS game. It was more of a Tatical RPG. You choose your units (party) before battle and use powerups (spells, grenades) in battle. Some of my favourite TS games are Civ 4 and 5, Age of Empires, Dawn of War, Empire Total War and Duegon Keeper.

19. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Empire Earth was also great.

Anyway, is it thread-worthy to create a thread for some [BB] RTS matches?

20. BlackDog

Sounds like a plan, id have to find my old copy of it mind you but i loved that game to death, British longbowmen, 3 layer thick walls, with trebs behind it, towerguards, 3 gates...ahh the memories, anyone else ever knock down an entire forest with a catapult with fireballs to bypass someones defences?

And to Teddi, id suggest getting E.G as well, another game i was sad to see die out, although not entirely, the rights were bought by Rebellion Developments "Makers of AvP" some time ago, and they expressed an interest to create a sequel, but no word on it yet as far as i know, but hell another Dun Keep like game is being made so who knows.

A hint though with dealing with super agents, Its easier to NOT kill them with valets,spindoctors, and diplomats than it is to kill them with 20 soliders, and if you ever DO capture one of them, be damn sure they got their own cellblock with 2-3 thick blastdoors with its own security network being watched 24/7, only way to make sure they dont get out...at least right away while you find out their weakness to finaly kill them