Battlefield 2142

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Teddi, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

First off: Thread Music. You better enjoy it, or you will die.

[youtube]POyzBagvthA[/youtube]

What is Battlefield 2142 first off?

Battlefield 2142 is a war game, set in the future. It is considered the successor to BF2, which was hugely popular and still is. BF2142 was released in October 2006. Since then it's been popular and still has a huge fanbase.

So why is BF2142 better or noteworthy?

Well, they improved on it vastly and added new things. Namely Titan mode.

Titan mode is where both teams have what's known as a titan, a hovering aircraft that is capable of mass destruction and can obliderate anything nearby. It can also carry infantry and smaller aircraft carriers, or hoverchoppers.

A Titan: [​IMG][​IMG]

I know it doesn't look so big, but those pictures have been screenshotted at an incredibly long range. It has 6 decks in total. 2 that are outside, the rest are internal.

The top deck and deck below, are the back of the titan, used for the enemy or friendies alike to board the titan. The deck below is the spawn area for that team that own that titan. This area cannot be accessed by hostiles. Below that, you have the core room, and corridors with the control panels (more about that in a moment).

The objective of the Titan gamemode, is to do a cap the area style mode at first, capturing missile silo's to fire at the enemy titan, and to lower their shields. Once their shields have been lowered, the Titan will start taking damage from the missiles. However, there is a secondary option, which is to board the titan by either using a flying APC, or by "podding" up from an APC on the ground, which fires you upwards onto the titan. From thereon, it is your mission to enter each of the corridors (1-4) and blow up the consoles. Once that has been done, the core is exposed. Assaulting the core will then decrease the titans health, and thus resulting it to blow up.

A video for a clearer explanation: [youtube]0x9m58Vol1c[/youtube]

For those that dislike Titan mode, conquest is still available in BF2142.

Also, there's "Assault Lines" which is a sort of weird cross between Titan mode and Conquest, however without the titans (Note: This does not apply to one map called Wake Island 2142, which features titans, but if you want to know more about that, ask me). You still have the ticket system, however if you cap all the point, the final cap unlocks at the enemy's base, allowing you to cap it and win the round.

Class system

In BF2, you had 8 classes. Assault, Medic, Gunner, etc etc. In BF2142, they simplified this into four classes, which enables you to modify your class to perform a specific, or better role. The classes are:

Support, Assault, Recon and Engineer.

Support is exactly that, support. Usually carrying a machine gun that gets more accurate the longer it's fired, this is a frontliner for defense, or even suppressing fire while assaulting. Even better, they carry ammo bags with them, which can be either held or dropped, and everyone in the area can benefit from the ammo as it returns it to them as per used. This allows the team to stay in top condition with ammo. He can also be upgraded to have a mini-shield, EMP grenades, a Miniturret and more.

Assault is the mix of Assault and Medic in this. By default he carry's a healthbag with him, which acts the same as the ammo one. Carrying carbine weapons this class can be upgraded to be a frontliner. He carries a AED-6 Defibrillator which can revive people in the heat of battle, or the shock can even be enough to kill an enemy.

The Engineer can be your best friend, or your worst nightmare. This guy is effective on ground and also against vehicles. He starts out with a basic rocket launcher and semi-automatic weapon. However, he can be upgraded to have little vehicle mines which will follow an active enemy vehicle (for a short distance)(motion mines) , the ability to plant EMP mines to disable vehicles, and a scanner to detect nearby vehicles. He also carries a repairgun, which can be used to repair vehicles and turrets etc. This can be upgraded to autorepair while in a vehicle.

Recon is the class that has been changed the most. It features two key classes melded into one. The Sniper, and the special ops class. By default, the Recon class comes with a sniper and that's pretty much it. However, this class can be upgraded by miles, including for snipers, a stabalizer and a better sniper rifle, as well as motion mines to detect any infantry sneaking up on you, or an automatic weapon, with remote-detonation mines, and a cloaking like weapon that can cloak you up to 90% visibility. This class can be used in so many ways.

Unlock system / Rank system

BF2 had a very, very boring and generic unlock and ranking system. It took forever to rank, even if you performed outstanding, so you could be waiting for a good while to get a new gun, and then it wouldn't even be that good, or possibly worse. With BF2142, they've introduced a whole character ranking system, and that the new unlocks will always be better at their job.(I couldn't find a decent image of the page sorry). This means that you rank up quicker if you do well, and you get those items that help you progress. BF2 only had 2 guns for each class. BF2142 comes with an entire arsenal for each class. By no means are you restricted to following a set path to use the items. As long as the items are within your class, you can mix and match to use them to as you see fit.

Teamwork

BF2142 is a game that is heavily reliant on teamwork. A good team can literally change the tide of battle and help win. Luckily, BF2142 also improves upon the teamwork part of it, compared to that of BF2.

Squad leaders now get points if their team follows the orders, defend where they should be defending, and helping each other. You're not given like 10 waypoint icons now. If the target is hostile, the waypoint will automatically select attack for you, or if it's friendly, Defend. Or if it's the middle of no-where, it'll say move.

You can set objects via the squad map, or by pressing T and clicking the objective. Another greater use is that the squad leader can request supplies (this was in BF2, but it was iffy), EMP strikes, UAV's and (conquest only) Orbital strikes (similar to Artillery strikes, but not half as deadly).

With an epic team, you can feel the heat of the battles, especially with 64 player games. Gunfire everywhere, emp strikes, it's a fullscale war, and one that is epic.

Angry, Nykke and myself all have this, and Angry and myself have been playing the past few days as he was looking for a new war game, and he admits it is epic. It's one of the few games that EA never really decided to advertise for, or publish for no apparant reason, yet it's so much better than BF2, or even Bad company imo.

It's £17.99 for BF2142 and Northern strike (An awesome deal, I may post about NS later) or just £10 I think for 2142. But seriously, get the package, and you can download it Directly from their website when you buy it.

It's an excellent game, 10/10, even more fun with friends. And I believe I played this game once for 8 hours straight, from night into the morning.

2. angry biker

angry biker Detective

3. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Might get it in a few weeks once ma money comes through

4. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Gah you make me want to play this right now. Damn you!

5. Teddi

Which is the point of this thread!

But no really, this is one of the best EA games ever, and it's one ironically they barely advertised.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Current list of names playing:

If you get it, add these names to the buddy list

Teddi_Orange
    Zeke1901
    Angryrawr

6. Tubbimora

Tubbimora New Member

Lmao, EA overuse Wake Island so much don't they?

I'll consider getting it. I love BF2 so I'm sure I'll like this. I'll look around for a cheap copy on teh internortz.

Also note, I could have bought this instead of BF2 Complete Pack when I went to Singapore, xD

EDIT: Okay, the APC Drop-Pods just sold me.

7. Erogoan

Erogoan New Member

Eh,
    I'm thinking about just getting the Deluxe Edition of it.
    Not sure yet.

8. Teddi

Wake Island 2142 was made by the Sir. Community, EA, and EA have it for £17.99, the deluxe edition

9. BlackDog

BlackDog FUMUKU, shall rise again

Wake island was one of the best maps in the first, thats why its so popular, always has the mix of air fights, ground fights with sea fights, all with a pretty big field for all.

2142 was alright in my opinion, but 2 still is better overall. Could be i just didnt play 2142 enough compared to 2

10. Tubbimora

Tubbimora New Member

Yes, but Wake Island has appeared in every Battlefield game I can think of. Lol, not a bad thing though, it's a pretty fun map.

11. Xandrah2

Xandrah2 Fear me puny humans!

I have it somewhere, could probably find it eventually

12. limilim

limilim Active Member

II have it, joining the group noa.

13. Robert Benson

Robert Benson Ze Captain

I might re-install it... not sure yet

14. Teddi

Yeah, that is true. But in 2142, it is epic.

Also, when 2142 came out, it was heavily buggy, profiles wiped themselves etc, which turned quite a few from it at first, bit it only ever got better after patch 1.3.

15. Erogoan

Erogoan New Member

What does the Pack have to offer that Deluxe cannot do and vice versa?
    I'm wanting to get my moneys worth. :)

16. BlackDog

BlackDog FUMUKU, shall rise again

I hope it got better

17. Tubbimora

Tubbimora New Member

Do you think BB will ever get a BF2 2142 Server?

18. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Punkbuster sucks

19. Teddi

Pack? If you mean the BF2 pack, that's for BF2

Afaik, there's no pack, unless it's that one that was sold by walmart for al imited time, that gave you this automatic gun, but it took up like half the screen.

Deluxe Edition gives you northern strike, which is also uber.

And, i may install a server, who knows.

20. Dan

Dan Active Member

Did you just get this game or something? I was playign it like a month ago and you wouldn't play with me :<