City of Heroes

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Kaiden, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

At the start of this month City of Heroes went free to play, much like its successor Champions Online. This is one of my favourite games, and while looking a little dated is still great. Champions is certainly a lot cleaner than CoH but CoH is just a decent game backed up by a solid community. Might get spoiled by free to play but I stopped playing a while ago due to the cost of the monthly fee so it's nice to be able to play it again.

You lose out on some stuff naturally if you don't pay monthly but you can just pay for individual things you want, which imo all MMOs should follow. Monthly fees are an outdated mechanic and only good for raking in cash, hopefully over the next few years we'll see it move more into "pay for what you use" with the core being free, such as Champions, LotR online etc.

But yeah, back to CoH, I recommend trying it. (I've mentioned it in the past and I know at least a few of you play(ed) it.)

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I might look into it again then seeing as the game was pretty enjoyable when I tried the trial. Though the whole month sub and one time fees seems to work out for Blizzard but that's mostly because people are dumb.

3. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

I liked it when i played it, but Dc universe is going F2P too

4. Perry

Perry The best guy ever

It's okay for a while but I got bored of it. Kind of repetitive. Fallen Earth just went F2P, I'm trying that atm.

5. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

I played it for a while... Kinda interesting... But more or less seemed to just copy a lot of other games. At least, that was my opinion at the time.

6. Ashman

Ashman Member

i played champions f2p for a little while when it first came out, it gives you basically nothing for free, which i guess is expected, but if you pay its a really good game
    the city of heroes f2p iv been playing since it was released, a lot more freedom, but yeah it does look a little dated, but the amount of stuff you get for free is surprising
    dc universe when it goes free to play id guess will work the same as champions, with presets that you have to live out, not much freedom, but ill still try it

7. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

I'm active on this game, Anyone need any help add me to global friends @JohnWafflesBrown, And you'll see where I am at the time. I play primarily on Freedom on the US server. CoH is WAYYYY better than Champions in my opinion. I've got a good 2 years of paid time under my belt for CoH, so feel free to ask me anything.

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

I played Champions for quite a while then stopped, then picked it up again when it went free for a brief period. It's very dissapointing, it basically removes a lot of the good costume pieces, and basically the ability to customize your charecters powers. Unless you pay you have to follow generic, boring builds instead of customizing and playing how you want, aka the point in the game.

It's interesting that Universe is going F2P, will check that out when it does, but if it's a repeat of champions - where it's basically a shell of the paid version of the game - then I won't play it for long.

9. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Nope, they announced the details on gameinformer

Free: New players will now have access to the current gameplay in DC Universe Online (including Gotham City, Metropolis, and all current raids and alerts), with the ability to create two characters, join a league, and many other benefits. Free level players will be able to purchase downloadable game packs/updates, additional character slots, powers, and more through microtransactions.

Source:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/09/19/dc-universe-online-going-free-to-play.aspx

10. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

I played Universe for the first month, It was pretty cool, but I felt alone since none of my friends played it, I walked up buildings and wasn't afraid of anything.

11. Elk

Elk ecology enthusiast

Ooooooh I loved City of Heroes. Now that I know it's f2p, I might. As well as DC Universe. Fucking... Teen Titans and stuff, yes <3

12. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Might try this considering I never play MMO's. Although this did look interesting when it came out.

13. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Saame, Just finished downloading