Double/50%/25% more View Distance mod (Want to See farther in Minecraft w/ less fog?)

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Zeke, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/243461-181-double5025-more-view-distance-mod-updated-918/

There are three mods to choose from, 25% increase, 50% increase and 100% increase (double view distance).

I use this and it's a total game changer, gives minecraft more beauty.

[​IMG]
    Broville Note that you can still see the pick axe guy on the mountain from clear on the other side :Black: normally you wouldn't even be able to see the ships and docks note the awesome clouds

[​IMG]
    Nighttime screenshot to show better clouds, obstructing the stars

2. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

This is actually an awesome idea that I've really wanted for a long time. Never knew there was a mod for it. Now, here's a question, will you get kicked/banned from multiplayer servers if they detect it?

3. Zeke

Oh no, of course not. Most servers don't even check for wallhacks. They would not even have a reason to look for a distance increase which is completely clientside.

4. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Cool, thanks.

5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

What's the performance hit like? I know it's Voxels so it shouldn't be too much but then again, this is Minecraft and Java.

6. Zeke

Well I can run it on my shitty computer no problem with about 20-30 fps average, so it's not bad at all. The only problem is it initially takes time to render all the blocks on screen. But once that's done it looks great.

7. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Why are you so prejudiced against Java?

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

It beat him up irl

9. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

That's probably true.

10. Teddi

Because it's a shit language and shittily implemented. C# is like the big brother of Java, near enough same syntax and whatsnot but 500% better.

11. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Would stop him on his way to school and take his lunch money.

12. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Java runs on it's own VM for multi-platforming and you know it. C-based languages compile into asm which obviously gives it a performance advantage, but not a, well, mobility advantage.

13. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Damn, beat me to it.

14. Zeke

A ton of shit we use today uses Java, from street lights to Androids. But C# is also a pretty badass language too. I like Java for its class structure.

15. Teddi

C# has the Mono project to make it multiplatform (which now has a huge following on the nix platforms).

Java doesn't have to use its own VM (and honestly, it shouldn't) and if it's for the sake of being available on all platforms, it's a dumb reason. Every Java update they're adding more bloat and putting pointless stuff in. You have to handle every single exception in a certain format or else you get errors popping up like no tomorrow (see: Minecrafts disconnect error message).

Also Android runs on a super heavy modified version of Java for optimization and performance boosts. When Oracle took over Sun and became Sun Oracle, the main guy behind Java left and joined Google. He's the one whose made Android as efficient as he has.

Java is a terrible language. It shouldn't be taught and instead something like C# which is a basic entry level whilst giving full access of everything without the need to worry about memory management.

16. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

I love C#, the problem is that nobody or company is willing to admit Microsoft has a good thing going and use it to its full extent. Silverlight for example. They want to continue using their own software instead of admitting its bad and letting it die

17. Teddi

C# is starting to gain quite the following, especially over at the XNA forums and more universities in the UK are starting to teach it instead of Java.

18. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Teach C++ dammit

19. Teddi

C++ has plenty of meat on it. It's better to get a base understanding of a language in general before you push them on to the bigger boy stuff.

20. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Not really. I taught myself in 5th-6th grade. The only thing all that confusing was pointers, and that was just because the book didn't describe it all that well (at least I'm sticking to that story).