Game UK - Why these guys really need to get the fuck out.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Teddi, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

In the UK we have a store called Game. They've been around for as long as I can remember (first time I visited a Game I was like 5) and they've never been that great, but they were okay.

Now for many years most people went to Game to buy their Console and PC games. When it comes to Consoles Game really have quite a thing rolling, even their smallest stores have their walls lined with console games and often even basic peripherals. However recently around March this year, Game silently kicked up a fuss to all publishers regarding Steam.

There wasn't much news about this but it has been coming out via drips and drabs from various people that saw the fuss and basically, it's come down to this.

Game UK want at least one whole month from the games release to be able to sell games before people in the UK can do this. Not from preorder date, but actual game release date.
    Now considering that no other online outlet is affected by this, this is starting to get really annoying when it comes to ordering games from Steam. I can go to D2D, GoG and other places and have no issues getting the game from there.

I'm actually starting to wonder if this is illegal under anti-competative laws because they're purposely obstructing and refusing to trade with Valve under the pretense of "We scared u get our customers". I'm going to start doing some research and look into seeing if this is the case and somehow try to notify the EU courts of this (because they love anti competative caes).

Current list of Games UKers can't order or view-

• Space Marine
    • Saints Row 3

Games in the Past that were unavailable until a certain amount of time had passed

• Brink (One Month)

2. Mc Diddles

Mc Diddles <marquee><font size="3" color="blue">Justice Team<

Those bastards cancelled my Deus Ex pre-order.

Granted I used my debit but I said "I get paid on the 26th, can I hold my payment until then. If otherwise is there anyway I can hold onto the pre-order until I have the money to get paid?"

The response was

3. Overlord

Overlord lolz to can't say @dmin

I am going too the NEC to GAME Festival in Birmingham so can't wait to see all the games :) and to get my Mii street pass

4. Teddi

Don't go to be honest. You're only supporting them being dicks to us.

5. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

[​IMG]

Gamestop sucks too, but not complete dicks like that.

6. Teddi

7. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

they dum

8. Overlord

Overlord lolz to can't say @dmin

9. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

Gamestop hasn't gone that far, but they're moving towards it in their "exclusive preorders" and such.

Also, in general they suck.

For example, I once preordered Halo Wars for Xbox 360 and went to pick it up on the first day. It turned out that they ran out of preorder codes. I called, and they said they would check with other stores in the area to see if they had extra codes, and they never called me back or notified me of anything. The whole experience pisses me off considering the fact that they could have just reserved one preorder code per actual preorder, but I guess that would just make too much sense.

10. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

That sucks

11. Ashman

Ashman Member

this may be what sleepy was on about, but gamestop, really

basically, your meant to get a free steam cloud version of the game with the boxed one, gamestop removed those codes so you dont get it

12. sConed

sConed Member

13. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

14. Ashman

Ashman Member

its cause gamestop is bringing out its own online gaming service and onlive is one of the main competitors with that, dick move gamestop

15. Mc Diddles

Mc Diddles <marquee><font size="3" color="blue">Justice Team<

Teddi's getting alot of fame off this. The facepunch thread has gone to BB, to Eurogamer, to /v/, to RPS, to Game informer.

16. Teddi

I thought gamestop already had an online service? Iirc they bought out Impulse.

17. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Yeah, I heard just earlier today that GameStop is sending all copies of Dues Ex: Human Revolution back to Square. As much as I've read about it, I don't really understand why, I mean, it's not like it hasn't been done before, and if anything, they're just hurting their own loyal customers.

18. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not that hard? Because it came with an OnLive code, Square Enix didn't like them taking the codes out because Gamestop is developing their own online service.

19. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

NOW EVERYBODY WANTS THEIR OWN STEAM!

20. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And then we had 50 different distribution platforms for 50 different publishers.