London riots

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kaiden, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Anyone been affected by this? I'd assume most of you would have heard, but link here if you haven't. It's pretty depressing, especially as pretty much no one involved even cares about what originally sparked the protests (suspicions around a man shot dead by police in a multicultural area of London). It's pretty much just an excuse to be mindless retards, which you'd like to hope most people are above, but seems not.

So yeah, I don't think we have many London based players but even then it's spreading outwards to several other UK cities. I expect it to stop on Friday when it starts raining (commitment goo).

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Well thankfully as of so far it hasn't spread to Newcastle or Wallsend (but that said, we're all nice people here). But at the same time it sort of does point out that there is some serious unrest in this country and it's just a civilish war waiting to happen.
    That and well some people are doing it just to try and get free stuff but that said, quite a few have been caught with it as well.

I know that one of our old Admins (George) lives in Whitehall so he's most likely been affected by it.

3. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

Wow. I can't believe that those riots are happening. I didn't think that riots like that would occur in civilized and established countries like the U.K.

And as you pointed out, the sad part is that the riots don't even have any purpose, and that they're just mindless acts of violence committed by people that are using it as an excuse to go loot and cause havoc.

My condolences go out to those who are being affected by the rioting.

4. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

For some retarded reason the chavs around my area decided to spark something off. A smallish town nearby me got it's highstreet completely closed off at 1pm.

There's meant to be something going on in a slightly larger town nearby me but i doubt anything will happen.

Loadss of police around D:

5. Teddi

Admittedly when I first heard that they started in Tottenham, I read somewhere at the same time that it was football related and I thought it was all because of a football match gone wrong. It seems everyone, including news stations are sort of "forgetting" what caused it and are just going on a joyride. Heck if you look on sites like BBC News, Sky News etc they only briefly mention it. It's pretty poor and really this sort of thing should stop.

Newcastle is open for the full night but again, that's because it's not expected to happen at all in Newcastle (plus most places have fortified shutters etc, in the event such a thing does occur). I do wonder if Killermon has been affected by such things though as he's closer to the action. Or Cwivey for that matter as she lives in Newcastle Under Lyme (pretty close to the action).

6. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

WHERE IS SIMON PEGG!?! And how come your police force is so unaffective?

7. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

It's been pretty quite down here in my backwater little town. As with all towns, there have been rumours that riots were going to occur, Chinese whispers....etc. But nothing significant so far. It's absolutely sickening these riots, most people are just rioting now just so they can loot some stuff! Such as that story about a load of people helping someone injured up and then mugging him (And then throwing away everything they stole from him).

Edit: To Bundt, basically because they're too scared to do anything. These riots were catalysed by police action, shooting an armed man dead.

8. Kaiden

If they go any more aggressive than rubber bullets than it'll be called police brutality, while now it's not enough - they can't really win.

What's fun though is obviously this is sparking from the recession, lack of jobs etc - so when they burn down entire buildings giving 100s of people jobs it's kind of counter productive - sums up the kind of neanderthals participating in such things I guess.

9. Teddi

If the Police get involved and there's a death because of that, the Police are always seen as the ones that caused it. This echoes in a sense something called the "Meadow-Well Riots" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_Well_Riots) that occured in a place that's about ten minutes away by car / bus / train for me.

Two kids pretty much killed themselves by driving badly in a stolen car and were thus chased by Police to try and get them to stop. They ended up crashing and killing themselves as a result of it and as was expected, the Police were blamed. It's effectively that but on a larger scale (multiple cities instead of a small area).

10. Overlord

Overlord lolz to can't say @dmin

Well reason why it is dieing down and quiet due to it is going too rain, can't burn things when its going to rain soon....

I thought something like this was going to happen in UK soon. Especially with the olympics soon.

11. Teddi

I daresay if people are really "dedicated" (which a few will be) they'll keep rioting regardless. Although because it'll be a smaller group they'll be caught far more easily.

The Olympics are generally annoying and are a waste of time. The fact that they knocked down an old housing estate just for a temporary village and Stadium is utter rubbish in my opinion. Especially as it cost a fair few jobs.

12. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Yea, I heard. Hopefully the violence will end soon.

13. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Well over in the states the police are only brutal when caught on tape. Your police needs to step it up regardless if they are already being blamed, they need to do their job. It's one life to get blamed for, it's millions of millions of pounds to get blamed for if they don't stop it. Teddi I now know why you want to move to the Neds. Now just imagine if these people were allowed to have guns like here in the states. Oh boy.

14. Sleepydragn1

I'm curious, why is there a lot of social unrest in U.K. and not much comparably in the U.S.? They're fairly similar in terms of culture and government.

15. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Yea... I don't want to start a political debate here...

Let's just say its unrest

16. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

We arent organized, we dont wanna lose our right to bear arms, we are too lazy, we have a decent police force that isn't scared to shoot, we don't have a queen *cough* *cough*

17. Teddi

They're worlds apart when it comes to culture and government. Especially when it comes to social norms and whatsnot. A very basic example is you guys can't even show nipples on TV there whereas in the UK after the acceptable time (9PM) you can go wild. Also our political system isn't two partied.

18. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

OH NO YOU DIDNT

19. Kaiden

Random 16 year olds looting and getting caught on CCTV - have fun getting a job with a permanent record for the next 2-5+ years. Although I guess the kind of person who does this just goes on benefits anyway.

20. Sleepydragn1

I should have said similar compared to the rest of the world.

Also, you can show breasts on U.S. television.