Multi-use Doors [Double doors, trapdoor fluid control, half doors]

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Zeke, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Why I think this should be added? It creates a lot of new opportunities for building designs with doors. Now you can make half doors and doors on a diagonal slant.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/338754-181v1-multi-use-doors/

[​IMG]

Solid panels:
    [​IMG]
    Window panels:
    [​IMG]
    Reconstructing the original door:
    [​IMG]
    - This recipe can also be done outside of the crafting table, by placing a solid panel with a window one on top.

Diagonal Double Doors:

- Opened and closed via the block in the doorway.
    - Works for all door types
    [​IMG]

Half-Doors

- A door panel that isn't a gate or a shutter
    [​IMG]

Fence Gates and Windows

- Half doors next to fences become gates.
    - They automatically line up with fences and are the same height.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[video=youtube;ejFmv8hpsZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejFmv8hpsZs&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

2. Zeke

[​IMG]

- Door panels with a supporting block or door both below and above become shutters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Some cabinets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trapdoor tweaks
    - Liquid will spread downward through an open trapdoor. For now it will only start spreading to other blocks if it's given a second block to fall.
    - Aligned trapdoors open together, allowing longer doors or double trapdoors to work as one
    - The hinge may now be supported by a half block or a cubic block underneath on the hinge side, allowing flatter placement without blocks that you have to hop over getting in your way.
    [​IMG]

Simple Double Doors
    - Clicking double wooden doors by hand will open two, if you face the direction you will walk through and can reach both handles.
    - Redstone opens up to 4 matching doors in a 2x2 area.
    - Preexisting door circuits will continue to work unless they depended on door-changing mods like BetterBlocks.
    - Works for all of this mod's door types, including diagonal ones
    - No redstone necessary:
    [​IMG]

3. Elk

Elk ecology enthusiast

Voting for this~

4. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

yusss++++++

5. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Dear god, I've wanted this since 1.3, and I also want Notch to fix that glitch where if you hook redstone wiring up to double doors (as in, one wire to each), the left door (facing the doors from when they open inwards) is always inverted. So if you have the same power source (let's say a lever) hooked up to both doors without any sand repeaters/signal inverters, the door on the left will be open while the door on the right is closed, and the door on the left will be closed while the door on the right is open. Anyone else have a hard time with this glitch?

6. Zeke

No, I have working double doors. They stop working sometimes I think if you keep hitting the lever really fast, but it'll fix itself. I can show you how to set it up.

7. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Hmm, no way to explain it? I guess I'll go try and see if it was fixed (most probable).

8. kristoferjm

kristoferjm New Member

I know exactly what you mean with that inverted thing, it's still happening to me, at least. I need to know how to make double doors with one switch D:

9. Zeke

I can show you kris. Also I found a quick way to fix the doors when it glitches, it takes half a second and you can do it from either side.

10. Zeke

Teddi add this already plox

11. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

I don't play on the [BB] server much, but I can think of a large amount of reasons why NOT to add this Zeke. I have my own server running only two mods (Planes and Industrial Craft), and it's already hard enough keeping up with those, also, no I will not give you the ip address for the same reasons I'm about to give as to why Teddi probably won't do this. Basically, if you put a server mod on, everyone's clients have to reflect that, and I can tell you, it's hard enough managing just my friends and my own jar file (basically I make the jars and distribute them amongst us, yeah it's illegal, sue me), but there's always THAT guy who forgot to do ONE thing which makes the whole thing not work, so then I have to go through the 15 minute to an hour long process of helping him through it all, and this is only with the six friends and myself that play on the server, Teddi would be overwhelmed with questions, and then RP would be delayed again.

The other main reason is that he probably won't add this mod is that when MC gets updated, the mods are obviously not going to work with the new version. I'm a modder myself, so I know this process quite well. Basically, ever time there's an update to Minecraft, you have to wait for MCP to be updated which, if the past is any example, takes a very long time in many cases. For instance, the update from 1.4.X to 1.5_01 took about 3 weeks (it generally doesn't take that long, but yeah). So, now that that's been released, the modder now has to actually UPDATE his mod. That's takes a long time as well. So, all the while, this new version has been released, but the server is still on the old version, which obviously leads to problems as a newcomer chances by, but can't play because we're still on the old version because the mod hasn't been updated yet. The other complication that goes with this is that often times, right after a your mod has been updated, what do ya know, a new version of Minecraft is out. Then you're just thinking, "Fuck me," and the last thing that's on your mind is wanting to update AGAIN (plus waiting for the new version of MCP).

TL;DR Lots of reasons not to put in client side mods, not many reasons to do so considering the comparatively small benefits achieved from doing so. One solution would be to put up a link to a jar file with all the mods setup on the wiki, but that's illegal. Don't know if Teddi cares or not though.

1 person likes this.
  12. Zeke

Well Teddi said to post threads requesting mods you would like to be added. So I have done that. Everyone does NOT need the same .jar file to have all the mods. I've played on plenty of modded servers without needing to download and install the mods on them. Minecraft will be updated but so will this mod; it has already had a lot of updates and no doubt will continue to have more as 1.9 comes out and so on.

13. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

There's a large difference between Bukkit mods, server-side mods, and client-side mods (like this), most of what I said applies solely to client-side.

Edit: Basically, what I meant to say was, for client-side mods, the jar file owned by the client connecting to the server needs to have the exact same mods installed as the server, else the server will not let you in.

14. Zeke

Yes for client-side mods that is true. Though I'm sure everyone here would install this mod if necessary.

15. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

While that may be true, I don't think Teddi would want to go through the process of explaining to people how to install mods, how you have to delete META-INF, etc all the time. Even if he posted up a wiki article, you know they're still going to go right to Teddi. Alternatively, he could put up a pre-compiled jar file containing everything needed for the server, but then you have the same problem with telling them where the jar is and how to get to it. It would be nice if Teddi would actually get in here and explain if he is going to or not, and if he chooses the latter, his explanation as to why not.

For the record, I'm not against the idea of putting mods on the server, I actually enjoy mods very much, I just think it might be a little more hassle than Teddi would want. Also, much of point might very well become moot if Notch releases the long-awaited Minecraft API he was supposed to release with 1.8, as he said that mods should still work (for the most part) after updates.

16. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Simple batch file and .jar file. Would take 5 seconds to make and would clear up any issues.

Due to the fact there's a whitelist everyone on the server is either on the forums or within contact with someone on the forums.

I don't see the installation side being an issue.

17. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Or just wait for bukkit 1.8.1 you lazy bastards

18. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Requires Modloader which risks corrupting the entire world etc.

If there was a bukkit version it wouldn't be so bad.

19. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Er... I don't think I've ever had ModLoader corrupt my server world, and I've been running the same map prior to 1.4.Something (I often just reload chunks without much on them to get the new stuff with each update). In fact, I didn't even know it could corrupt worlds. Also, backup?