OnLive

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Kaiden, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Onlive has been around for a while but it's getting more interesting recently. It's also been in the news more (i.e. gamestop removing the codes from Deus EX 3 copies for OnLive)

OnLive allows you to stream games as a cloud based system, it was recently bought by BT in the UK and BT customers now get quite a long trial for free, pretty nice.

You need an average broadband speed to use it but pretty much everyone has 2MB by this point. Currently streaming Trine, lower graphics quality but running fine. The odd screen flicker but can't complain.
    You can pretty much get games for £1 for a few days like Deus ex 3, pretty awesome, not sure what the quality will be like though.

2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Oh god I dropped a box on a bridge and it didn't like it :( It seems to struggle to run this game 100% so I can't imagine DX:HR running smoothly.

3. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Well I tried this with their £1 for any game deal and my overall conclusion was just that it's a poor mans console. The graphics seemed at time blurry (considering it's a video feed) and under heavy duress it just because one giant swash of colours.

It's ideal sure if you haven't got a decent PC but other than that, it'd be better to get a console if you can't afford a PC.

4. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

I have a Deus Ex: Human Revolution code for OnLive, but I don't really think it's worth trying, at least not at this point.

5. Teddi

I have a 30 day free trial I think of OnLive actually in my PC Gamer magazine if anyone really wants it.

It's certainly worth trying just for the experience and to see if it'll work for you, but odds are you'll have a similar experience like I did.

6. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

I made an OnLive account a while back, didn't bother to do anything with it. So you all say it's pretty crappy, eh?

7. Teddi

I wouldn't say crappy persay. If you don't have enough money to buy better things for your PC / Can't get a console, then this is ideal for you. They just need to make the video processing smoothing. One thing that did surprise me (although it clicked when I went to quit the game) is that the game loaded instantly. No waiting times, no loading, just bam and there we were.

8. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Anything is better than gamestop

9. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

[youtube]UOo8JcluY70[/youtube]