(RP Question of the week - Q2) Player versus player abilities

Discussion in 'Server Chat / Updates' started by Teddi, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Just as a note, the previous thread will stay open, as will all future threads.

Player versus Player (aka PvP) is often something that involves death in most games, however in this gamemode we're considering a few features that would hopefully enable some extra RP value.

One such ability would be to be able to effectively mug players, ie forcefully take items in a scenario (there would be restrictions and limitations as to how this would work, such as you just cant walk past, hit a button on them and steal their stuff).

It's a half baked idea at the moment, so we're wondering what everyone else thinks of this, and if you've got any ideas / suggestions to add to such abilities (you can suggest your own sort of abilities if you'd like).

2. Mc Diddles

Mc Diddles <marquee><font size="3" color="blue">Justice Team<

[​IMG]

3. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Sounds pretty cool

4. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Yeaaaaa muffins. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

But anyways, The mugging thing would be kind of cool, But you need a way to actually get people to roleplay that out willingly/tap into their inventory fairly, Because no one is going to agree with getting mugged.

5. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Sounds cool.

6. limilim

limilim Active Member

A gladiator arena. Two unarmed men fight for fame, wealth and glory. Only one can come out alive.

7. Tubbimora

Tubbimora New Member

DISCLAIMER: TUBBI IS BEING AN AMBITIOUS BASTARD

If guns are going to be REALLY rare, then damage that is extremely high, no matter the weapon. A bullet to the chest should severely injure a person. Of course, you can give police and others kevlar vests to wear in order to increase their survivability.

As you were talking about skills, maybe there should be a skill for gun experience, aka the more experienced you are with firearms the more accurate you would be. A random civilian shouldn't be able to pick up a firearm and shoot it at the accuracy of a CT from CS unless they've been given proper training (or whatever). You could make an NPC that gives a person weapon training for a price (Say its for a hunting license or something? I dunno I'm just rambling really).

As others have been saying, a bullet to the legs could also slow a person down until they get medical treatment? In fact, being injured by a certain amount could slow you down instead, leading to some interesting RP situations (e.g. person capped in the legs and left somewhere until they are found etc.)

Also, objects that can be found in the world that can be used as weapons, e.g. in its simplest form a broken bottle. Using a chair or stool to knock someone out would be handy if you need someone to be kidnapped or to stop something from happening.

Being honest, I don't think there should be THAT much consideration into Player vs Player combat seeing as this is an RP gamemode. There really should be less of a focus of violence-orientated RP in my opinion (even if it is possibly the thing that attracts most players).

8. Teddi

^ Suggestions are all good, and whilst you're right, there has to be something there to compensate for if something happens.

9. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Black peoples damage increased by 2x
    Black peoples jump height increased by 5x
    Black peoples drug costs decreased by .5x

10. Zephyr1551

Zephyr1551 The Slayer of Bob

Well this isn't serious RP, guns shouldn't be extremely rare, but it should take effort to obtain them.

11. Teddi

What we don't want to happen is that guns become a main part of the game again, ie running around and gunning happily. There's just no need for it. Whilst you can argue that my example is one of serious RP, do you need to run around with a gun shooting at stuff randomly in RL?

12. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Current amount of posts: 10
    Current amount of constructive posts: 1

13. Mc Diddles

Why thanks. I dont know why a picture of a baked muffin is constructive but all is well.

14. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

I'm glad you see it my way, McDonalds Muffins are bad.

15. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Not much more to be said then Tubbi's post, really.

16. BlackDog

BlackDog FUMUKU, shall rise again

We used to do that before, remember.

But anyways, the idea for mugging would be quite welcome, least in my opinion, have you thought of how when somone is doing it, it shows how their doing it?
    Maybe say when somone is trying to pickpocket you, there is a high chance of it saying to the guy your doing it to (You feel as if somthing is digging through your pockets) Just as a simple way to alert the person to it being done, and only one person can pickpocket at a time per person, we dont need a group of people all at once stealing everything somone has, maybe if their out cold.

Could be the same way when somone is cutting somone loose from zipties or picking a lock, but it says it within a small local area to anyone who would be able to see it.

17. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That picture pushed the release date forward by 3 months.

18. Mc Diddles

Awwweeee yeeeeeee

19. Teddi

Problem with pickpocketing is new players will be like what the fuck, I've just lost stuff. Unless we limit it to specific items / money.

20. Mc Diddles

Maybe every new character spawns in a special room teaching the basics.

Also maybe guns need training? I wouldnt mind starting a gun club of some sorts which basically acts as a target range.